Besides Fish...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
Maybe it's a myth Did New England prisoners really eat lobster in colonial times? (boston.com)

There are freshwater blue lobsters sold for tanks...5 inches
I do believe those are actually crayfish (edit: yes, checked, and they are 100% one of the ones being banned), and I think are now contraband where I live lol they just put up a new law coming into effect come Jan 1st 2024 for two genus of crayfish plus a bunch of other stuff, including ALL kinds of salvinia. Will be totally prohibited to possess it at all, sell, etc.

Sigh. Gotta burn all my salvinia new years eve.

You mean these, yes?
Screenshot_20231218_214938_Samsung Internet.jpg

Procambarus genus is prohibited in my province starting the new year.
Screenshot_20231218_215247_Facebook.jpg

Source: https://news.ontario.ca/en/backgrounder/1003960/ontario-designates-new-invasive-species

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Yes, I bet that's the 1. I never knew much about them.

We, in our early fish keeping days, tried a crayfish from a local creek. It went into a rock "cave" & barricaded the opening with gravel. Then, peeking out it would try to "pinch" fish swimming by. After a week or so, we returned it to the creek, eek! We didn't know that was a bad idea both to keep a "wild" animal with our fish & to return it to it's home area. Live & learn...

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
Took some pics of all my isopods, expect this to take a couple posts to post them all lol

Haplophthalmus danicus
1000117919.jpg

Porcellio laevis "orange"
1000117892.jpg

Platyarthrus hoffmannseggii
1000117882.jpg

Cubaris Murina "Little Sea"
1000117966.jpg

Trichorhina tomentosa,
1000117967.jpg

Porcellio laevis "orange variants" this is a morph that popped up out of my own population, now I've separated them to their own enclosure to see if it breeds true. If so, it would be it's own morph. Note smooth carapace, unlike the p. scaber Dalmatian below.
1000117987.jpg

Hyloniscus riparius, a pale colour morph that popped up in my population
1000117951.jpg

Porcellio laevis "dairy cow" despite being P. Laevis it is not able to crossbreed with the orange morph, there's some speculation that they may be distinct species despite scientific name.
1000117984.jpg

Porcellio scaber "dalmation" note the rough shell, separates it from laevis. Cannot interbreed.
1000117886.jpg

Cubaris murina "papaya" essentially an albino version of the cubaris murina
1000117972.jpg

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
Armadillidium maculatum "zebra"
1000117980.jpg

Armadillidium vulgare "albino"
1000118012.jpg

Armadillidium vulgare
1000117902.jpg

Armadillidium espanyoli
1000117956.jpg

Oniscus asellus
1000117964.jpg

Armadillidium scaberrimum
1000117975.jpg

Cubaris sp "Panda King"
1000117997.jpg

Porcellio haasi
1000117976.jpg

Trachelipus rathkii
1000117974.jpg

Armadillidium nasatum, note the little squared nub between the antenna. This separates it from A. Vulgare
1000117961.jpg

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
I like the colorful 1s like the spectacular critter Porcellio haasi
I have to get more, my whole group is females, not a single male haha

The males get really long extensions on the tail end of them, the females keep the shorter ones.

But the haasi are really nice, bit shy though. But if disturbed they don't tend to run, like many others do.

Annetti

AC Members
Jan 15, 2024
Ohh it's look so cool. My another hobby was grooming pets. But it was long time ago and now kinda gaming and writing different articles about pets and so on

Reactions: NoodleCats

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Amazing pics and posts in this thread!

Beside my fish, two dogs, two cats, 4 kids a marriage, crippling anxiety, sometimes debt and fear of the unknown, my youngest son and I kept hermit crabs some time ago, but only kept them for about 2yrs. Below was our twin 29gal setup with 3 purple pintcher crabs in each. It's amazing how much goes into keeping them the right way, rather than how pet shops told you years ago. Very interesting little buggers, but you rarely see them. When they go down for a molt, you might not see them for a year or more!

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
Amazing pics and posts in this thread!

Beside my fish, two dogs, two cats, 4 kids a marriage, crippling anxiety, sometimes debt and fear of the unknown, my youngest son and I kept hermit crabs some time ago, but only kept them for about 2yrs. Below was our twin 29gal setup with 3 purple pintcher crabs in each. It's amazing how much goes into keeping them the right way, rather than how pet shops told you years ago. Very interesting little buggers, but you rarely see them. When they go down for a molt, you might not see them for a year or more!

When I was a teenager I kept them, but of course definitely not the best. Was a 10g with 2 of them, but they had a heat lamp, sand, stuff to climb, etc. But they should have had more space still.

They were really, really cool critters. Way more interesting than someone would first consider. They're really fun, and cute and all have different personalities. One of mine was more outgoing, the other was an avid climber.

• Love
Reactions: FreshyFresh

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
When I was a teenager I kept them, but of course definitely not the best. Was a 10g with 2 of them, but they had a heat lamp, sand, stuff to climb, etc. But they should have had more space still.

They were really, really cool critters. Way more interesting than someone would first consider. They're really fun, and cute and all have different personalities. One of mine was more outgoing, the other was an avid climber.
So true! They all act differently. Some you'll see during the day, others you'll never see. Some are shy, some are not. Most don't realize they spend a lot of their life way up in trees and the rest of the time buried deep in the sand for months at a time.

When I was a kid, all pet stores stocked them and I remember my parents allowing me to keep them and unfortunately, keep them horribly I did. :(

Until I kept them this last time, I had no idea they needed a salt water pool (dish/bowl) as well as a fresh water pool and they have to be deep enough for them to fully submerge. I also did not know they need to be kept in sealed enclosures that are kept at ~85% humidity and ~85F. They'll eat about anything and when fed and kept well, they grow fast! This means you need to keep lots of available shells for them, which gets expensive the larger they get. I watched some of mine swap shells which is neat to see.

In the end, I just couldn't keep up with their needs and I donated all to an avid keeper who drove many miles to come get them.

Have you ever read up on what it takes to breed them in captivity? OMG what a process it is and the few that are able to do it have my total respect given what it takes.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store