Besides Fish...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
Oh, I think that massassauga rattlesnake was our venomous snake in Michigan too. I never heard of anyone actually seeing 1 near anywhere I lived. Those Northern water snakes do have pretty tummies & backs. But now I know I'll never feel the need to handle a possible biter even as babies, cute as they may be..

Back to ants for a sec...I can see some of them being interesting in the way freshwater tropical shrimp are. I'm the right age to have been given an ant farm, but I don't think I or my sibs ever were...I might feel differently now had I known them in a more intense way back then. Now we get Argentine ants as home invaders. Teeny tiny, almost all of California is a giant colony of them. & big black carpenter ants...no to both!
Invasive ants are little turds, I don't want them in my house either. I've gotten stray wild Carpenters that come in through the kids window every summer. They become fish food very fast lol

But as contained pets, they're very cool to watch, they're actually intelligent. Did you know there's been a study done with reflections in mirrors testing animals self awareness... they tested ants! And ants proved to be self aware and knew it was a reflection. Interesting tidbit of info I learned not that long ago. Thats pretty neat. You wouldn't immediately think of an insect showing that level of intelligence.

I found an old video of a time-lapse I did of my dairy cow isopods eating a Northfin carnivore pellets, was fun. Sped up, they don't normally move *that* fast haha

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Wow, that feeding frenzy was fun!!

That interesting about ants' self awareness. I would have thought smell would be an important factor for some insects like ants. I thought my monk parakeet was fairly intelligent, but he mostly wanted to kill the "other bird" on my shoulder, lol.

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
Wow, that feeding frenzy was fun!!

That interesting about ants' self awareness. I would have thought smell would be an important factor for some insects like ants. I thought my monk parakeet was fairly intelligent, but he mostly wanted to kill the "other bird" on my shoulder, lol.
Quakers are hilarious birds, really quirky buggers.

Supposedly they tested the ants by putting a marker on the ants head and placed it in front of the mirror and it was responding by touching the mark while looking in the mirror, rather than touching the mirror. Now maybe the mark had weight to it that the ant noticed? I don't know, but it's an interesting thought.

Apr 2, 2002
New York
"Leiningen Versus the Ants" by Carl Stephenson is a classic short story published in the December 1938 edition of Esquire. It is a translation, probably by Stephenson himself, of "Leiningens Kampf mit den Ameisen" which was originally published in German in 1938.

It was adapted in 1954 by Ranald MacDougall and Ben Maddow into the film The Naked Jungle, starring Charlton Heston as Leiningen and Eleanor Parker as his mail order bride Joanna, and featuring William Conrad as the commissioner.[3]

You can find this film online. 😱

I am not a fan of bug, insects, beatles etc.

Reactions: NoodleCats

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
"Leiningen Versus the Ants" by Carl Stephenson is a classic short story published in the December 1938 edition of Esquire. It is a translation, probably by Stephenson himself, of "Leiningens Kampf mit den Ameisen" which was originally published in German in 1938.

It was adapted in 1954 by Ranald MacDougall and Ben Maddow into the film The Naked Jungle, starring Charlton Heston as Leiningen and Eleanor Parker as his mail order bride Joanna, and featuring William Conrad as the commissioner.[3]

You can find this film online. 😱

I am not a fan of bug, insects, beatles etc.
But what about beetles? :p

Reactions: FreshyFresh

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I might have seen that movie as a kid, 2tank. But I prefer animated insects like in Antz & A Bug's Life.

My mother thought lobster, crab & shrimp were almost aquatic bugs, not on her menu in any way. My dad did on vacations sometimes & pronounced them sssrimps in an annoying dad way, lol. Prisoners in early NE were fed lobster as poor folk's food, my how times have changed!!

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
I might have seen that movie as a kid, 2tank. But I prefer animated insects like in Antz & A Bug's Life.

My mother thought lobster, crab & shrimp were almost aquatic bugs, not on her menu in any way. My dad did on vacations sometimes & pronounced them sssrimps in an annoying dad way, lol. Prisoners in early NE were fed lobster as poor folk's food, my how times have changed!!
I'd heard about that. I wonder what made it change so drastically. I much prefer crab over lobster anyways, I've never found it that great to warrant the insane price of it.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Butter makes them better, lol. Maybe that was a turning point? I have read about lobsters as cheap prison food & maybe on tv too. I'll try searching tomorrow...I don't remember now.

I had a friend whose dr. husband was a coroner in an east US coastal city. He & his dr. bros would be all excited if a dead person was found in the bay. That made for the best blue crab eating, eww!!

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
Butter makes them better, lol. Maybe that was a turning point? I have read about lobsters as cheap prison food & maybe on tv too. I'll try searching tomorrow...I don't remember now.

I had a friend whose dr. husband was a coroner in an east US coastal city. He & his dr. bros would be all excited if a dead person was found in the bay. That made for the best blue crab eating, eww!!
🤢🤮
No thank you lol

I had lobster at a fancy restaurant before, lots of butter on it, I didn't care for the taste. It wasn't as sweet as crab. It was okay, but not something I'd want to fork out the cost on again. Now some good crab, absolutely.

I see the lobsters at the grocery store and think they'd make really cool pets if I ever had a big enough saltwater tank haha

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store