Aquageek's 29G Reef

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ptrick125

Learning a lot everyday
Feb 2, 2012
Georgetown(Near Austin) ,Texas
www.patrick.international
Real Name
Patrick

aquageek

AC Members
Feb 27, 2011
Real Name
John
Tank has been running for 2 weeks today. Hopefully another 2 weeks and we will be ready to go!

Todays readings:

Temperature (Current): 79.7 (lights out in 1.5 hours)
Salinity: 1.024
pH: 8.2 - 8.4 (hard to read)
Ammonia: .5 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 20 ppm (again, hard to read)

Interesting that I have some ammonia and nitrate, but no nitrite? Any thoughts on that?

aquageek

AC Members
Feb 27, 2011
Real Name
John
Yay, new stuff!

Just finished a few orders. I ordered 15 more pounds of Florida (dead) rock, and a tennis ball of chaeto from Reef Cleaners. I got more rock because I am not sure if I like my current scape, and most of my pieces are kind of tough to work with. I figure I don't exactly need 15 more pounds, but with that much more coming in I should be able to create something really nice :D

I also just placed an order with InTank! I ordered the fuge, and media basket along with the JBJ Nano LED fuge light, Chemi-Pure Elite, Purigen, and filter floss. I am super excited! :D

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Sounds like you are making good progress. Lots of good reviews out there on reef cleaners. inTank makes some quality products too so you should be happy with the media basket. Are you on Florida?

Once the tank cycles, manually remove as much algae as you can and the CUC should take care of the rest.

As for ammonia and trates but no trite. Not uncommon and you may or may not see trites spike all that much. That piece of LR may have just enough bacteria to make the conversion without you seeing much of a change. Keep testing!

aquageek

AC Members
Feb 27, 2011
Real Name
John
Thanks for the reply Greech. No, I am not in Florida - Midwest here.

It's been a bit since my last update. I got my media baskets from InTank installed and going. Looks great, really cleaned my water up as far as clarity. The chaeto is really growing nice with the JBJ LED fuge light that I put on the back.

I've replaced my Top Fin 150W heater with a Jager 100W and turned it down to around 77. Will need to monitor my temperature closely as it has been running a bit hot (82). I've also added even more rock and did some new scaping. With the new addition of the more rock, It is a bit more of a challenge to get good flow everywhere in the tank, so I will need to play with the powerhead placement a bit.

I've also got everything for my salt water mixing station. I bought a 21g plastic tote and lid from the hardware store. I cut some holes in the lid for power cables and a plastic hose. In the tote, I've got a Jager 75W heater, a Koralia Nano 240 for mixing, and a Maxi-Jet 1200 for on demand pumping the new salt water from the tote to the display tank. I added a Coralife digital thermometer to monitor the temp of the mixing tote. It will be running 24/7 with 15 gallons of new saltwater ready to go. For making the salt water I will be using Red Sea Coral Pro Salt. Things are going nicely, I am hoping to get a CUC in next week! Pictures!

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Looks good, Brute garbage cans are a bit nicer for mixing or storage easier to move around, and you can always get the wheels for them as well.

aquageek

AC Members
Feb 27, 2011
Real Name
John
Thanks, TL. Yeah I looked at the big garbage cans. The only issue with this tank is, it is at work on my desk. I don't really have any where to put a big garbage can at the office, so I opted for the tote that I can put under my desk. It's got 15g of water in it, it's not too bad to slide around. I might put some of those furniture slider things (technical term) under it so I can move it a bit easier.

Later this summer when I start my 50g at my HOME office, I will be more likely to get the bigger garbage can that I can put in my basement and hook right into an RO/DI unit.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Really looking good. Algae looks to be diminishing quite a bit. Pods are fun to watch when they are plentiful and active and you're right, they are small. Good sign to see them thriving.

I think you may want to add a little more flow down the road but see how it plays out.

Thats a nice setup.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store