african and s/a cics

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bane125

AC Members
May 6, 2012
Im so pissed...my africans ate my gt 3" and my geophagus 2.5"..totally gone...no bones no head nothing! Wth! I got a 4" electric blue hap who is the suspect no#1...and a jewel cic who is always hiding...i just thought a gt were tougher and could handle themselves better...im shocked!!

oo7genie

Hello my fintime gal...
Nov 18, 2010
Eugene, OR
Real Name
Rick
Compared to most fish, a GT can handle themselves fine, and would more likely be an aggressor than a victim. However, in general, African cichlids are known to be much more aggressive than SA cichlids. That's why it's generally not recommended to stock Africans & SA/CA's in the same tank.

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
A GT isn't a match for an equal sized mbuna; IME the rep of GTs bein' aggressive fish is overplayed and they are a lot more docile than many, many species of cichlids. I don't know of any geophagine cichlid that is aggressive enough to hang with Africans at any size.

If ya really want to mix mbuna and New World cichlids, which I don't recommend BTW, yer best bet is gonna be to stick with the common, tougher mid-sized CA cichlids. I know people who've mixed convicts, firemouths, salvini and dempseys with mbuna with some success. Anything much larger than a dempsey (RDs, midas, jags, etc.) will destroy mbuna once it outweighs them. If ya insist on mixin' SA cichlids with Africans, stick with similar-sized haps. Again, I don't recommend it, but I have seen some successful set-ups of haps with SA fish.

Good luck.

WYite

bane125

AC Members
May 6, 2012
I appreciate the advice peoples...truthfully that gt was very timid shy even...docile...and i dont condone fighting among cichlids...i just want a mix of fish that can get along and exist peacefully...

oo7genie

Hello my fintime gal...
Nov 18, 2010
Eugene, OR
Real Name
Rick
How big is the tank, and what is the current stock?

We can certainly make some suggestions for a less aggressive stocking for your available tank space. But keep in mind, these are cichlids, and there's a big difference between "less aggressive" and "peaceful". "Peaceful cichlid" is a virtual oxymoron, as every cichlid species is semi-aggressive to aggressive in nature, but there are some species that are less so.

bane125

AC Members
May 6, 2012
I have an electric blue hap...a chocolate cichlid..a demasoni..a yellow hap...a pleco..a kenyi...an albino zebra cichlid...a bloodparrot...and a jewel cich...a fusco cic and a banded lep..a venustus and a silver dollar an orange compriceps and gold head compricep and black calvus!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

bane125

AC Members
May 6, 2012
93 gallon cube..30x30x24"

bane125

AC Members
May 6, 2012
Oh an a scat fish lol

bane125

AC Members
May 6, 2012
Im thinking of putting them in a 90 gallon long...give them room to move around then a cube would....lots of rock too...maybe they will be better off...and maybe put something else in the cube...any suggestions what fish will do well in a large cube? Angels? Or maybe some bolivian rams...

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
You've got quite an interesting mix but seeing as I'm not very knowledgeable on a lot of those exact species, I'm probably not the best to give more specific advice on how they should all be kept. One big thing is that I believe scats are brackish to full marine conditions once they mature. I doubt it will do its best in full FW.

But angels and/or rams would do fine in the cube so long as nothing from the original tank is still there.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store