55 Gallon River Setup

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
Cute new fish! Yes, female cichlids can be tough. I like her attitude!

I like the clay background too. It really does add nice depth
Yeah she's a brute loo but isn't concerned with the other fish. Maybe just snails look yummy lol
She's the smallest fish in the tank and she's got big attitude. The male is nice, though not as adventurous yet. The female though, her personality is huge. The male has shown off to her a couple times though, which is nice. I think he needs to colour up more still, as he's still a little washed out. But they're not skittish at least.

And there's caves for them that aren't in use by the other fish. I added pleco caves to the tank but no, the plecos burrowed under the river rocks in the sand instead 🙄
1000125702.jpg

Plus a few extra natural cave-like structures too. I've been slowly spreading the stargrass around as well, so more sight breaks and shelter too.

They don't seem bothered by the cories, but I know that could change should they decide to spawn.
One perk, there's still a bit of flow, one side has higher flow than the other, the apistos may prefer the slower side should they decide the spawn, and that leaves a lot more space for the other fish where they like the flow. Adds a bit of balance if necessary.

I don't know why but I expected closer to young ram size for them, didn't expect them to be so so so small haha makes the attitude cuter

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Apisto females can breed when smaller than you might think! If she's taking on your big ramshorn snails, well, she's likely ready for any & everything. She'd like a few smooth rocks (or wood or big leaves) to lay eggs on, gentle on ovipositers, but so would he in a different way ;)

Pay attention to her behavior toward the male...she may beat the crap out of him if he ignores her breeding advances. You may need to separate them, she can injure him or even kill him ...don't let that happen! You have lots of tank space, he "should" be able to get away if she's too intense...lots of caves, wood & plants. Break up their sight lines. But I hope he understands his breeding job. Sometimes males are a bit slow on the breeding idea (ugh). He may need a "time out" away from her for a week or so, you know, absence & fonder hearts (or other parts)...

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
Apisto females can breed when smaller than you might think! If she's taking on your big ramshorn snails, well, she's likely ready for any & everything. She'd like a few smooth rocks (or wood or big leaves) to lay eggs on, gentle on ovipositers, but so would he in a different way ;)

Pay attention to her behavior toward the male...she may beat the crap out of him if he ignores her breeding advances. You may need to separate them, she can injure him or even kill him ...don't let that happen! You have lots of tank space, he "should" be able to get away if she's too intense...lots of caves, wood & plants. Break up their sight lines. But I hope he understands his breeding job. Sometimes males are a bit slow on the breeding idea (ugh). He may need a "time out" away from her for a week or so, you know, absence & fonder hearts (or other parts)...
LOL

There's a lot of smooth rocks, but also acorn caps, caves, etc.

So far, male has tried to display to her and they've followed each other around. No aggression between them, they seem to get along thus far. No chasing or aggressive behaviors between them.

Female is more focused on searching the leaves of the vals for microscopic snacks, and exploring for other tasty goodies. She's not had any attitude towards anyone besides the snails lol those wiggly antenna must look tasty. But my assassin snail isn't doing his job, so you know what, that's a win win for me.

Male eats pellets right off the bat, he seems really mellow that way. He's the one who's made any initiative in trying to impress the other, where she's just interested in foraging lol

his start of trying to flare lol
20240202_161200_1_1.gif

But holy heck they're tiny tiny tiny. Smallest fish in the tank 🤣

I've been told she's still small enough to possibly be a sleeper male, but more likely is indeed a female. She's barely an inch in size. But given male has tried to display for her, it's possible. And she's more "dominant" in personality, I'd think if she were a sleeper, the "sleeper role" would have been reversed, because she's definitely more bold and outgoing than he is.

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
The "female" changes colour, sometimes within minutes... went a bit blue for a bit. Makes me wonder if perhaps a "sleeper male". Waiting and seeing, asking around.

1000125818.jpg
1000125887.jpg
1000125866.jpg
1000125853.jpg

And male was coloured up for a bit today
1000125949.jpg
1000125954.jpg
1000125951.jpg

jake72

AC Members
Jan 28, 2019
So I did a thing
😝
View attachment 232736

They are from the same river systems as both my tetras and my cories, and opportunity came up... besides Bolivian ram, I've not had cichlid experience. First foray into apistogramma, going with apistogramma borelli "opal"

Toning flow down slightly anyways, the tetras are a little iffy with it, and my Bolivian ram in my blackwater contends great with the same flow rate there, so I'm expecting similar. Plus seeing wild videos of these guys, they contend with flow already naturally, more than we expect in aquaria.
Just remember this species does not pair; so the female will not be friendly towards the male when she has frys and will viciously attack him if he gets too close (hence a 10 gallon would be way to small for an actual pair); borelli are among the more passive species of apisto but there is no fury like an angry woman. Not all species of apisto have the same breeding pattern as some are pair forming. Also these are almost certainly not wc and will likely come from some breeding farm (which has its own negatives).

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
Just remember this species does not pair; so the female will not be friendly towards the male when she has frys and will viciously attack him if he gets too close (hence a 10 gallon would be way to small for an actual pair); borelli are among the more passive species of apisto but there is no fury like an angry woman. Not all species of apisto have the same breeding pattern as some are pair forming. Also these are almost certainly not wc and will likely come from some breeding farm (which has its own negatives).
They were imported from Europe, according to the store, so I definitely assume farm raised.

They're in a 4 foot 55g so there *should* be ample room for the male to go do his own thing if the missus is fussy lol I did read this species is polygamous, not really pairing up.

Thus far there's been no aggression towards each other or the other fish in the tank, which is what I want. If they spawn and it gets tricky, moving fish isn't a big deal. I'd not move either to my 10g though, I don't think my pseudomugil would like them lol

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Young or smaller cichlid males often try to look like females so they don't get beat up. "She" may be too small but to me "her" fins look more girly rounded...so far.

The bigger male's behavior says to me he thinks he's flirting, not having a territory fight...But he could be fooled for a while too. Time will tell, I'm with the smaller fish's interest in food over breeding, lol.

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
Young or smaller cichlid males often try to look like females so they don't get beat up. "She" may be too small but to me "her" fins look more girly rounded...so far.

The bigger male's behavior says to me he thinks he's flirting, not having a territory fight...But he could be fooled for a while too. Time will tell, I'm with the smaller fish's interest in food over breeding, lol.
He was "flirting" again last night
20240203_190248_1_1.gif

They do hang out together too. They seem to really like the sword plants.

Spitting out sand
20240204_201106.jpg
20240204_201042.jpg

This pic was taken before lights on, in natural ambient room light
20240204_114925.jpg

And the "miss"
20240203_181733.jpg

Bowser the male chaetostoma poked his head out of his burrow. He loves his spot. The tetras and cories fling food into it as they forage, and he gets a free buffet lol
20240203_185155.jpg

My corydoras paleatus are only 3 months old. The wee babies hatched 3 months ago... and today I witnessed a male trying to chase a female to try to spawn. They're still babies in my eyes, why you growing up so fast 😭😭😭

They're still small, not even half the adult size.
20240204_170001.jpg

Look at Oops with his hilarious long fins
20240204_165912.jpg
20240204_165908.jpg

The apistos are so small, can you see them both in the tank pic?
20240203_180449.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store