Guppy Grass???

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Well, that's certainly brightly colored! A clown pleco is just the right size for your tank, good choice. I love them even though they're mostly nocturnal.

Thanks for the tank size image dougall, that helps.

Watch the moss! If you ignore it, it may spread to less good places. Like I said, it's just me...many like it...& I like yours for now...

See, I told you "we" could help & dougall, being on the east coast, has some good club options! Check some out, it could be a family day out, lots of good stuff to see nearby.

OK, I don't see either a sword or a java fern. What are you guys seeing?

• Haha
Reactions: wiseiam

wiseiam

Here fishy fishy.....
Jul 3, 2006
Northern Virginia
Real Name
Felisha
Well, that's certainly brightly colored! A clown pleco is just the right size for your tank, good choice. I love them even though they're mostly nocturnal.

Thanks for the tank size image dougall, that helps.

Watch the moss! If you ignore it, it may spread to less good places. Like I said, it's just me...many like it...& I like yours for now...

See, I told you "we" could help & dougall, being on the east coast, has some good club options! Check some out, it could be a family day out, lots of good stuff to see nearby.

OK, I don't see either a sword or a java fern. What are you guys seeing?
Those are coming tomorrow. Thanks again to you both!!! Good night!

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I don't think I see a sword, all look like java ferns to me.

It isn't tellibly clear how the bottoms are. But I wouldn't put them inside anything it can be troublesome with them growing or getting them out of there.. the leaves grow from a rhizome not a crown and they grow by the rhizome getting bigger and the leaves growing from that.

I also fear that the rhizome may be buried.. that will cause the plant to die off; you basically want the rhizome to be against something, even the gravel and the root-like things from there will attach to what it's against it, or bury themselves into the substrate.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Yep java fern. The 1 with several points on each leaf is windelov. The wider leaved 1 is probably "regular" java; the 3rd looks like maybe "narrow". Don't be in a hurry to trim off dying leaves, new plantlets often form on the ends.

wiseiam

Here fishy fishy.....
Jul 3, 2006
Northern Virginia
Real Name
Felisha
I don't think I see a sword, all look like java ferns to me.

It isn't tellibly clear how the bottoms are. But I wouldn't put them inside anything it can be troublesome with them growing or getting them out of there.. the leaves grow from a rhizome not a crown and they grow by the rhizome getting bigger and the leaves growing from that.

I also fear that the rhizome may be buried.. that will cause the plant to die off; you basically want the rhizome to be against something, even the gravel and the root-like things from there will attach to what it's against it, or bury themselves into the substrate.
Java Ferns it is then. hahaha... ok, so I'll remove it from the little holie thing and put it up against something else. The bottom just has colored gravel, no sandy substrate. That's for later on, I'm still learning right now, thanks to you all :) I really appreciate the help. Take care!

wiseiam

Here fishy fishy.....
Jul 3, 2006
Northern Virginia
Real Name
Felisha
Yep java fern. The 1 with several points on each leaf is windelov. The wider leaved 1 is probably "regular" java; the 3rd looks like maybe "narrow". Don't be in a hurry to trim off dying leaves, new plantlets often form on the ends.
Great! Thank you so much! I will definitely do some research and see how to better care for these plants... Ya'll are awesome! Take care!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
No, java ferns are attached to rocks or wood, they are NOT planted in the substrate. I would just leave them, it looks like they are in good places. They will eventually attach themselves to the decor even maybe the substrate but! you want the "rhizome" (sideways sorta stem that roots & leaves) ABOVE the substrate. Roots can be planted if the rhizome is not.

wiseiam

Here fishy fishy.....
Jul 3, 2006
Northern Virginia
Real Name
Felisha
No, java ferns are attached to rocks or wood, they are NOT planted in the substrate. I would just leave them, it looks like they are in good places. They will eventually attach themselves to the decor even maybe the substrate but! you want the "rhizome" (sideways sorta stem that roots & leaves) ABOVE the substrate. Roots can be planted if the rhizome is not.
Ok, I'll still remove the one from the little holie thing so that its rhizome will get light. Thanks once again! :)

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
You can weight the rhizome along the gravel and the root things will bury themselves too . But it really limits your chance to move them around. I wouldn't attempt to plant the roots unless you have plenty of time and are incredibly patient.

Rocks are easy to move around, my choice is to attach to driftwood though, but it's mostly because I prefer the look of it to stone.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store