What have you given up for fish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Trigger1985

AC Members
Jul 31, 2009
Arlington Heights, IL (near Chicago)
I know there are a lot of people out there, living on a budget these days, I was just wondering what others have given up to afford to start or continue to keep fish.

I gave up energy drinks-
I used to drink 1 or 2 cans of Monster a day, not the best thing for me, but I loved the taste, and tended not to sleep well (hmm wonder why that could be haha) so it continued. I decided to get back into keeping fish, and needed the financal breathing room, so I kicked the Monster habit, gave me an extra $80 bucks a month I didn't know I was missing. Spent the next few days falling asleep at random intervals on the couch but got back into a more normal and healthy sleep schedule, so the benefits were two fold. Healthier living, and a nice distraction to keep the stress down.
Smoking is next on the chopping block, but 1 extremely addictive substance at a time, for the sake of those around me.

katana1200

Unhealthy obsession?
I cannot afford to maintain my sanity anymore so I regret I'll be doing without that. Also, children have become too expensive and will need to be selling at least two of them to pay for my new HO lighting system.

But seriously, other hobbies have gone by the wayside for me. I would have had a PS3 by now with several new games, a blue ray player, new golf clubs....but now instead I'm saving for my next cannister filter and upgrading my lights.

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
my sanity...and my basement, LOL..oh and sundays to drive to pickup import orders, hand lotion as well, shirts with sleeves

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
Shirts with sleeves? Are you selling scraps of material to pay for your fish habit?! ;)

No seriously, I assume it's because your hands are in the water all the time, right...

Crat

AC Members
Apr 19, 2009
Booz, Actually I kicked the beer habbit over a year ago and although I had a fish tank while I was a drunk, it was sadly verry neglected. When I decided to quit though, Fish tanks are what helped me. I needed something to do with myself so I really started into the hobby. Now with the money I saved n beer I have 5 tanks up and running with more to come some day. That smoking thing is next on my list as well, I'm thinking spring time.

BioHazard

Here and There
Mar 15, 2009
PA
I won a 80 gig ipod nano, and promptly sold it to help pay for my 20 gal. :D

abcdefghi

AC Members
Jun 6, 2007
So far I can't really think of anything I gave up, I am sure if I had not spent money on fish/supplies etc then there are other things I could have had, but I don't feel like I gave up anything.

Sadly if I don't get a job it might be the fish that I have to give up :(

BioHazard

Here and There
Mar 15, 2009
PA
I know there are a lot of people out there, living on a budget these days, I was just wondering what others have given up to afford to start or continue to keep fish.

I gave up energy drinks-
I used to drink 1 or 2 cans of Monster a day, not the best thing for me, but I loved the taste, and tended not to sleep well (hmm wonder why that could be haha) so it continued. I decided to get back into keeping fish, and needed the financal breathing room, so I kicked the Monster habit, gave me an extra $80 bucks a month I didn't know I was missing. Spent the next few days falling asleep at random intervals on the couch but got back into a more normal and healthy sleep schedule, so the benefits were two fold. Healthier living, and a nice distraction to keep the stress down.
Smoking is next on the chopping block, but 1 extremely addictive substance at a time, for the sake of those around me.
My vice is Mt Dew Amp. I feel your pain.But now I only have 1 or 2 a week, if any.

oowl

AC Members
Sep 5, 2008
Vacations. Now that I have MULTIPLE tanks I no longer feel comfortable leaving all that equipment to run without issue for even the shortest of vacations, so I stay home with my animals. The extra money not spent on vacations is earmarked for my pet supply orders now. . .

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store