What's going on in my tank? Dead angel? Krib with cloudy eye?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FishAddict74

AC Members
Dec 8, 2020
I have Aquis 1200 which is for up to 250L aquarium (mine is 160L).

Media from top to bottom is

Top compartment: wool filter, black sponge filter

Middle compartment: blue sponge filter, seachem matrix

Bottom compartment: blue sponge filter, ceramic noodles

It's all what came standard with the cannister except I swapped out the bioball for the seachem matrix at the recommendation of the salesperson...

In the tank I have 2x kribs, 2x angels, 4x sterbai cories, about 12 males guppies

Sand substrate with rocks and driftwood and planted
I’ve never had that brand of canister but everything sounds like it is as it should be.

FishAddict74

AC Members
Dec 8, 2020
I have Aquis 1200 which is for up to 250L aquarium (mine is 160L).

Media from top to bottom is

Top compartment: wool filter, black sponge filter

Middle compartment: blue sponge filter, seachem matrix

Bottom compartment: blue sponge filter, ceramic noodles

It's all what came standard with the cannister except I swapped out the bioball for the seachem matrix at the recommendation of the salesperson...

In the tank I have 2x kribs, 2x angels, 4x sterbai cories, about 12 males guppies

Sand substrate with rocks and driftwood and planted
Wait, I guess I should’ve asked, does the water flow from top to bottom or bottom to top? My point is IMO the course sponge should be first followed by the black sponge followed by the floss then all the bio media, this keeps detritus from accumulating in the bio media and makes cleaning the filter easier

Lalo J.

AC Members
Mar 8, 2020
México
Wait, I guess I should’ve asked, does the water flow from top to bottom or bottom to top? My point is IMO the course sponge should be first followed by the black sponge followed by the floss then all the bio media, this keeps detritus from accumulating in the bio media and makes cleaning the filter easier
This question is essential to detect the problem of water quality, and the correct way in which everything should be arranged. In any case, it would be good if Azaah puts a photo of the mechanical filter media separately, to see if it needs to be replaced or simply rinsed.

Reactions: FishAddict74

azaahp2

AC Members
Sep 27, 2020
water flows in from the top, see diagrams. I've set it up the same as shown except I used seachem matrix instead of the bioballs

Screenshot 2021-02-10 140909.jpgScreenshot 2021-02-10 141018.jpg

Lalo J.

AC Members
Mar 8, 2020
México
water flows in from the top, see diagrams. I've set it up the same as shown except I used seachem matrix instead of the bioballs

View attachment 229094View attachment 229095
Doing a quick search for the filter medium with the name "wool" I see that it is quite familiar, I use it in my filters but I replace it every time I change the water, I use HOB filters so I don't use that much, but I replace it without fail. The sponges only rinse with the water in your tank and you shouldn't have a problem. I stand by my opinion of doing a 40% water change, siphon the bottom and maintain your filter every 3-4 weeks to avoid accumulation of detritus, I'm sure your fish will be better.

azaahp2

AC Members
Sep 27, 2020
Thanks a lot, I've done the water change and gravel vac. I will try to do smaller water changes more often as I do wonder if that's causing some of the problem - the water changes are too big which would de-stabilise the the bacteria and nutrients levels I guess. I haven't replaced the filter wool yet, but I clean it back to white each time I clean out the cannister (it rinses out really well), but I have bought more wool today to replace it.

The 'spot' on the big angel's tail has gone. The smaller angel appears no worse. The krib appears to have 2 or 3 more spots but they're really not doing anything and I'm hesitant to treat the whole tank just for that, so still watching it atm. It's been about a week and nothing is changing rapidly so...

Everyone seems happy and is eating well etc it's just these few oddities that I'm watching. I showed someone else the pictures today and they suggested heater burn is a possibility as well. They're cichlids so no doubt a little bit of aggression going on!

Lalo J.

AC Members
Mar 8, 2020
México
Bacteria are stored in biological filter media, not your water, so doing large water changes would not pose much risk if done correctly. In any case, if you want to do frequent but smaller water changes is a good idea, maybe 20% weekly would be ideal. You will probably want to treat your Kribensi in a hospital tank.

Lalo J.

AC Members
Mar 8, 2020
México
Do you think it's fungal...?
It's possible, but Ich and cloudy eyes are successfully treated with Paraguard in a hospital tank, if you decide to send it be sure to put 60% of your water in the tank and 40% of new water, and some of your biological filtration material in the tank. filter to avoid dealing with ammonia.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store