what skimmer would you recommend?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Neptune555

AC Members
Nov 18, 2013
I have a Corallife HOB skimmer (SEVERAL Years Old) attached to my 3 ft bow front 50 gallon reef. I am looking to set up a 55 gallon 4 ft predator tank. I am exploring *new* HOB skimmers for this tank. The tank will be stocked with Picasso triggerfish / yellow Tang / rainbow wrasse / saddled toby puffer fish / Royal Gramma /.

What Skimmer would you recommend?
Coral life HOB skimmer is not consistent with its skimming function? I also suffer from tiny bubbles in the tank from the skimmer... I want power and clean water. My 55 gallon 4 ft tank does not an overflow built in so I think I am stuck with a HOB as my only option? I asked if they could drill and add an overflow to my tank at the LFS and they said that they don't recommend this... I hate to waste my existing tank set up... hood / stand / tank / lights.

thanks Neptune...

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Well picasso trigger needs around 200g minmum, yellow tang around 90g.

If it has to be HOB maybe AquaC Remora Pro. Not many great HOB skimmers out there once you get into tanks bigger then 40ish.

If its a standard AGA, or Aqueon 55 it should be drillable, or they have HOB overflows as well.

Neptune555

AC Members
Nov 18, 2013
That is an interesting idea... HOB overflows.. where do I go to learn more? I would prefer to set up a sump under my tank for skimmer and to create a refugium so I can have a mandarin fish once my critter population is well stocked.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Google lifereef. Otherwise go with an eshopps. I personally am not a fan of the boxes that require an air lifter pump to maintain siphon but lots of people have them. If you have a standard 55, you may have a problem finding a tank bigger than a 10 gallon to fit in your stand. That won't provide much room for drains, socks, skimmer abd return pump.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store