what is the fastest way to cycle a new tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

lampro

AC Members
Jun 24, 2019
what is the fastest way to cycle a new tank? i want to cycle a tank in a week if possible
how do i know when the tank is ready?

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Buy cured live rock and sand. Add to tank. Add ammonia, test to verify active bacteria colonies. The real stuff, as well, not stuff comes in a bag. Preferable from a healthy tank.

But keep in mind, the tank will only be 'cycled' for a given value. If you add 500 clowns, it's not going to be enough.

Also repeat to yourself 'Nothing good ever happens fast in a marine tank'.

Jul 11, 2019
Get a deep sand bed, used established media and live rock and add in something to create ammonia (can be ammonia directly, could be a piece of food, etc,)

Schreiber

Registered Member
Jan 3, 2020
Do you know anyone around you that has a tank? Ask for some old filter bags, sand, gravel, anything porous really. Add that to your tank as a "seed" for bacteria to grow.

Schreiber

Registered Member
Jan 3, 2020
Also, it's worth looking into cycling with ammonia, as long as you don't already have livestock in there. I've cycled tanks in about 5 days with that method, though you have to be pretty on top of it with measurements & checks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store