Tunnel between two Fluval Edge

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

lastinfantry

Registered Member
Oct 24, 2016
Hey,
I want to build my first Aquarium and I have been looking for tanks that I like, below 300€. Sadly all I could find available in Germany is the Fluval Edges and the Juwel 125.
After thinking and googling for days I decided I have to go with the Fluval Edge. I prefer the 23L one over the 46L one because I want a Betta and the large one is a bit deep. I also prefer the wide aquariums over the cube ones.
However my main problem is that they are too small. 43cm is way smaller than they look like in videos, I imagined them to be like 65cm wide. So I got a pretty crazy idea.

I like DIY and I am fairly confident in my skills. How about this: A Fluval Edge and a Fluval Edge II, next to each other, connected via a horizontal glass tube. All I would need is a way to cut circles in the glass sides of the two aquariums and an acrylic/glass pipe and some silicone. Now my questions:

1. How high can I fill the Edge II? Just as high as the Edge I can be filled, unless I close it's top somehow, right? How could I do that?
  2. Which filter do I use? Edge, Edge II, both?
  3. Could I keep a Betta inside the Edge II hoping it will realize it can only breath at the surface in the Edge II? I would want the Edge to be filled to the top, with some breathing space in the taller Edge II.
  4. How would I cut the glass without it shattering? Just a 10€ glass cutter?
  5. If I kept the water level in the Edge II around mid level because I don't want to cover the opening of the Edge, what animals could I keep that need both water and some land space? Maybe a frog? I am worried about the Betta and general tank size.
  6. Would one heater in the taller tank be sufficient to heat the whole water?
  7. Do fish actually use that kind of tunnel?
  8. Anything else I have to think about?
Thanks a lot.
lastinfantry

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
I think you would be better served by a water bridge. That would allow you to keep the two tanks unaltered and still join them. They will need to have the tops of the tanks at the same level, but that is the same regardless of how you connect them. You can build one like in this youtube or use pvc pipe as described in the second link.

http://www.bio-elite.co.za/waterbridge.htm

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store