The Newest of Newbies

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

skatz

Registered Member
Mar 6, 2016
Arizona
I have only ever had male bettas, but recently I started researching into starting a larger tank. Since I'm in college living in a dorm room, I'm restricted to 10 gallons. I've been looking at Flame Tetras, and I like them a lot. I just know very little about what to do with tanks, what fish do best together, and what fish I can keep in that size tank. Any advice would be awesome, I'm kind of lost at where else to look.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Flame tetras will be nice in a 10gal. They, from my experience, like cooler water (72-74) so would be OK with Neons, who also like lower temps.

Reactions: skatz

Astarell

AC Members
Jan 28, 2011
West Coast
Real Name
Sara
With a betta you've probably never had one before, but you should get yourself a test kit to check your water parameters and make sure everyone stays happy, no matter what fish you decide on for your 10 gallon. Tetras are a good choice, mollys and platys are also easy to care for, or male guppies if you like the fancy tails similar to bettas. Once you do decide, don't forget to show us pictures!

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
A male betta is great in a 10g, or maybe some neons, celestial pearl danios or rasboras. For more beta entertainment, you could do a small sorority of female bettas in a 10g. Just have lots of floating plants and decor so they don't bicker among themselves too badly.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
A male betta is great in a 10g, or maybe some neons, celestial pearl danios or rasboras. For more beta entertainment, you could do a small sorority of female bettas in a 10g. Just have lots of floating plants and decor so they don't bicker among themselves too badly.

skatz

Registered Member
Mar 6, 2016
Arizona
Thank you all for your help! I haven't yet gotten a tank, but I think I'm going to stick with tetras. It all depends on what I find at a local pet store! And I'll definitely post pictures once I have everything set up.

Since I have only had bettas, I've never had to deal with a filter before. Does anyone have any pointers on that part? Like, what kind of filter to get?

Belltrain

AC Members
Nov 11, 2010
Loma Linda, CA
Real Name
Austin
I would start with a hang on the back filter or HOB. They are relatively inexpensive and are easy to setup. I have had good luck with the whisper and marineland brands.

henningc

AC Members
May 11, 2013
Some dwarf rasboros would work as well.

You can check them out at theaquadicarts.com

skatz

Registered Member
Mar 6, 2016
Arizona
Wow, thank you all! I picked up a tank today, I'm going to get plants and a filter this week and cycle the tank before I go pick out some fish!

My roommate decided to get on board and get her own, so I'm sharing all of your tips with her. Seriously, thanks for all of the advice!!

Reactions: Belltrain
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store