The Aftermath of Ich

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

biondoa

AC Members
Feb 6, 2015
NC
Real Name
Alison
Thank you everyone for all your suggestions. I have now got 2 cardinal tetras remaining. Neither one has any spots that I can see. My plan now is to wait 2 weeks and then, if all seems well, move the threadfin rainbows to the tank. At that point , they will have been in the QT for 6 weeks.
It has been hard watching all these fish die, but I think I did all that I could. I have learned that cardinals are happier at temps that are equivalent to discus temps. Much as I wanted to have them in my tank, I am not sure that I will try them again. I would hate to go through this again. Once I get the threadfins in there, I may feel that that is enough, but I love a school swimming around in a large group. Most schooling fish are smaller than the cardinal tetras and I don' t want them to be food for the angels. Any suggestions.?

Aquanero

"In omnibus speciebus. Adunatum."
Feb 14, 2011
New Jersey
Real Name
Tom
A group or harlequin rasbora will work well as will serpae tetras keep 8 or more they can be nippy but in a group they stay to themselves, glowlight tetras are another option, adults are large enough to be safe. All these fish do well in high seventies to low/mid eighties. I have successfully kept each of these with angles long term. HTH.

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
Horrible story :( miracle cures and biological products suck, man. More harm than good. The good news is that you are in good spirits :) that will keep you ready and able to move on with the tank. Harleys are awesome, man. I have 11 remaining in my 90/100g, whatever it is, and they form their own middle-of-the-tank hangout in the plants.

biondoa

AC Members
Feb 6, 2015
NC
Real Name
Alison
Well I already have harlequins in another tank , so I was thinking something different. Not sure yet. I want a break from all this loss. Once I get the threadfins moved over , which will be this weekend, then I think I will wait a while before any additions.

biondoa

AC Members
Feb 6, 2015
NC
Real Name
Alison
I lost about 14-16 cardinal tetras. The rest of the fish were not affected. It has been just a little over two weeks and I still have 2 tetras remaining. They both look fine. So next week I will be moving the threadfin rainbow fish into that tank. How those two cardinals managed to survive is beyond me.

biondoa

AC Members
Feb 6, 2015
NC
Real Name
Alison
The threadfin rainowfish went in yesterday and so far all is well. Now will put away the QT until next needed and take my time deciding if I want to add any more fish. Thanks again for all the help.

Reactions: Duckie

Duckie

AC Members
Mar 14, 2015
I think that is a wonderful idea - the waiting. Having a very empty fishtank myself I can see how taking my time with "filling it up" can be appealing. There will be more fish eventually - as I am not sure how 4 fish in my 180 will work out long term. As a almost species tank it does look quite nice - 2 hippo tangs, a yellow tang, and a goby with his shrimp buddy.

biondoa

AC Members
Feb 6, 2015
NC
Real Name
Alison
Thanks for that Duckie. I do feel a need for a break, but the lovely part is that I have now 2 empty 10 gallon tanks if I should need them. That is a very good feeling.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store