Stocking ideas 8 gal tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

DLV082

Debbie
Aug 23, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Real Name
Debbie
Hi

A friends daughter was given a 8 gal tank for Christmas. As I have a 180gal tank they asked if I could help her set it up. I have put the sponge filter that came with the tank into my tank to cycle. She wanted gold fish but I talked her out of it because the tank was not big enough. As I have never stocked anything this small I would like ideas. I have bought her a small heater as she now wants a tropical tank after seeing mine.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Cheers
Debbie

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
A great size for a betta.

I'd stay away from live bearers, (male and female) unless you have some plans for the fry.

What's the footprint of this 8 gallon tank?

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Some celestial pearl danios or neon tetras could work too.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
In something that small, my first instinct would be cherry shrimp.

It would be more temperate than tropical.. but it will work well to see breeding without becoming terribly overstocked.

And the offspring can easily be sold too.

Reactions: FreshyFresh

DLV082

Debbie
Aug 23, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Real Name
Debbie
A great size for a betta.

I'd stay away from live bearers, (male and female) unless you have some plans for the fry.

What's the footprint of this 8 gallon tank?

I agree with no live bearers or anything that would readily breed. This is her first tank. From memory it is a tall tank the footprint is approx 12in x 18in give or take a few inches.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I'm sure opinion will vary on this, but I've kept 8 celestial pearl danios in a planted 10g tank along with some other small fish and you'd have to search to find the CPDs at times. They're tiny.

I'd say easily 6-8 of them in an 8g tank.

Same with neons.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
it is a tall tank footprint is approx 12in x 18in give or take a few inches.
That would only be about 9" tall, not very tall then.

Depending on the actual dimensions, if it is not a tall style tank then I think Glofish would be a good choice for a young girl. Never thought I'd recommend Glofish to anyone but I am pretty certain now that they are not one of the "cruel" fish that are painted, dyed etc. and are actually made by injecting the eggs with jellyfish DNA and possibly breed true as well. I think they are a good first fish for children cause they are brightly colored, active and hardy.

If it IS a tall tank than I think a Betta and some snails or shrimp is perfect.

DLV082

Debbie
Aug 23, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Real Name
Debbie
Thanks every for your help. I think she is going with Male guppies. Because they are pretty. We will see how it goes. How many could she put in this size tank?

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
If only guppies, I would go for maybe 8-10.. if your water change schedule and water conditions say it's fine (as always, follow test results) if you have thriving plants, then possibly more.

But follow test results to know, and don't slack on water changes if you stock on the heavy side.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store