Starting a SW tank, some good advice

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

loyalty

AC Members
Apr 1, 2004
Clarksville, TN
Visit site
so were those shrimp alive? or did you just plunk in dead ones?

I'm so confused

also, instead of waiting till after the first cycle, I dumped in my live sand as soon as i added the RO water (which is mostly floating around the top for some reason) The guy at the pet store told me to do this, but the book i bought on marine tanks had only a brief mention of live sand. I haven't put the filter or powerhead on, because i thought the sand at the surface would gum them up.

I read on the forum that bacteria would eventually weigh the sand down, so is there something i should do to promote that bacteria growth? thanks

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
The shrimp used were dead, cocktail shrimp from the deli. They decompose, which introduce ammonia, which is the food source for the beneficial bacteria you want established. Ammonia is a natural waste product of fish, and toxic. The bacteria break it down into nitrites (also toxic), that is broken down to nitrates by another set of bacteria.

becky_e

AC Members
Apr 21, 2004
Minnesota, USA
www.geocities.com
Looking for a few details...

Hello,

I'm planning to convert a 45 gallon FW tank in the near future and I want to make sure I understand the DSB idea correctly before I start. This will be my first SW tank. An aquarium book I read parts of recently mentioned a similar system. (I think it was called a pleroma system or something.) However, it said that you needed a 2" space at the bottom (like an undergravel with the filter removed) to let the water circulate beneath the anaerobic bacteria. Do you need this, and how deep does the sand bed need to be to use this system?

The info is great, I just would prefer to make as few newbie mistakes as possible.

Ray Pollett

AC Members
Jun 6, 2003
Blaine, WA
Visit site
Re: Looking for a few details...

Originally posted by becky_e
Hello,

I'm planning to convert a 45 gallon FW tank in the near future and I want to make sure I understand the DSB idea correctly before I start. This will be my first SW tank. An aquarium book I read parts of recently mentioned a similar system. (I think it was called a pleroma system or something.) However, it said that you needed a 2" space at the bottom (like an undergravel with the filter removed) to let the water circulate beneath the anaerobic bacteria. Do you need this, and how deep does the sand bed need to be to use this system?

The info is great, I just would prefer to make as few newbie mistakes as possible.
That is a Plennium system(sp?) with the space below the sand. I personally see no need for the space and do not leave it.

Ray

DanielHoerr

AC Members
Jul 20, 2004
Phoenix, AZ
4036.com
Wow!

Another newbie just wanting to pass along praise to all of you for this thread. I've learned more in the 15 minutes of reading this than all previous research!!!

Very clear and informative.

:D

THANKS!

Pelagic Hero

Registered Member
Sep 20, 2004
More than one way to skin a cat

I've read/seen/been told of many articles that suggest the coctail shrimp method is not the most effective method of cycling a new tank. I've also had personal experience with this.

My suggestion is that beginner marine enthusiasts need not believe this method to be the only one available. I suggest reading books (many are available) that give advice on the procedure to cycle a new tank. Once you read some resources on the matter, you can decide which method is most acceptable to you.

A lot of the procedures I've seen here are unnecessary and waste time. I agree that patience is needed when starting a new tank, but I also believe that some "experts" on the subject get carried away in method, causing undue stress on the beginner aquarist.

Starting a new tank does not need to be as time consuming as outlined previously. Nor should the costs be so great.

If seeing is believeing, I've personally seen many intricate reef tanks flourish without being set-up in the manner described earlier.

As always, when dealing with science (this is science, after all), a skeptical mind is beneficial. Critical thinking can be applied here, and I am skeptical that the outlined "standard" given at the head of this thread is not really standard at all.

In any case, be skeptical of my post as well. Don't take my word as gospel. Ask around and forge your own opinion!

My two cents. Thanks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store