South American Paludarium Build

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I hear you on lemons being less nippy than some tetras. We kept serpae early on & they were pretty bad fin nippers. I always worry about "high bodied" tetras especially...but really almost any tetra can become that way in the "wrong tank" or with the "wrong tankmates". We had neons nip bettas; those long flowing fins are hard to resist. We used to buy a dozen tiny juvenile neons

You know, I've never kept embers partly because they look like tiny serpae :oops: & the betta might eat a few. I truly do understand they aren't similar in behavior because they're similar in color & shape. Maybe someday...

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
I hear you on lemons being less nippy than some tetras. We kept serpae early on & they were pretty bad fin nippers. I always worry about "high bodied" tetras especially...but really almost any tetra can become that way in the "wrong tank" or with the "wrong tankmates". We had neons nip bettas; those long flowing fins are hard to resist. We used to buy a dozen tiny juvenile neons

You know, I've never kept embers partly because they look like tiny serpae :oops: & the betta might eat a few. I truly do understand they aren't similar in behavior because they're similar in color & shape. Maybe someday...
Embers are alright, I only have the 1 left now though. Old age be claiming many of my fish lol
They're not nippy, but they're a touch shy. Perhaps because their size everything looks like an enemy to them.

The hyphessobrycon elachys are a very slight bit larger than embers but not by much. They're definitely sassier. They have some attitude but with 22 of them they keep it amongst themselves rather with everyone else.

I'll never do neons again, I had them before and they were the meanest fish I've ever owned. My old gourami was terrified of them, they attacked my cories, they ripped each other apart, they terrified my black neons, ate the fans off my bamboo shrimp... ugh they were awful. I rehomed the whole bunch of them for free to a neighbour who set up a 20g and wanted fish lol

Same way you are wary of higher bodied tetras, I'm wary of any of the neons/cardinals/green neons after those psycho neons I had. I have no clue what the heck was up with them things, bad genetics, or what, but they were the meanest things I've owned.

jake72

AC Members
Jan 28, 2019
I hear you on lemons being less nippy than some tetras. We kept serpae early on & they were pretty bad fin nippers. I always worry about "high bodied" tetras especially...but really almost any tetra can become that way in the "wrong tank" or with the "wrong tankmates". We had neons nip bettas; those long flowing fins are hard to resist. We used to buy a dozen tiny juvenile neons & the betta might eat a few. Then when the survivor neons grew up, the tables were turned. Not shredded betta fins, but we moved the tetras...& often bought more when they were 6/$1.

You know, I've never kept embers partly because they look like tiny serpae :oops: I know it's pretty lame...maybe someday I'll try them. So many fish, so many fewer tanks I want to keep up now...
Odd my serape never touch my angels; i wonder if there are different species of 'serpae' like fish; lots of folk declare they are nippy but i've kept as few as 3 and as many as 30 with angelfish and never had an issue; though with the festum every now and then one would become dinner.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I don't remember what fish we kept serpae with that were nipped. Maybe not angels but gouramis I'm pretty sure.

I've "read" rosy tetras & some of the other high body red types don't all nip fins. Might have been in a too small tank, with too few tetras or too tempting tankmate fins. I've had "killer" silver tip tetras & cherry barbs (?!?! yes!). The barbs after having kept them several times with no issues. My theory is both were "hormoned" in some way to make them extra pretty & colorful. I had both species around the same time from the same source...

So many variables, many more species available now & then less than great IDs sometimes...

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
I don't remember what fish we kept serpae with that were nipped. Maybe not angels but gouramis I'm pretty sure.

I've "read" rosy tetras & some of the other high body red types don't all nip fins. Might have been in a too small tank, with too few tetras or too tempting tankmate fins. I've had "killer" silver tip tetras & cherry barbs (?!?! yes!). The barbs after having kept them several times with no issues. My theory is both were "hormoned" in some way to make them extra pretty & colorful. I had both species around the same time from the same source...

So many variables, many more species available now
& then less than great IDs sometimes...
My ornates are fairly nippy, they've picked off a few of their own, but I also suspect issues since petsmart fish lol heck knows.

My male cherry barbs are turds. My old ladies are nice perfect citizens, don't bother nothing. My males terrorize each other and try to bother other fish if the opportunity presents itself.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
My cherry barbs & silver tips were not from a chain store but maybe it's more a farmed fish issue? I don't know...

I've only seen yours & a few other ornates, mostly in pics. Of course, given my serpae aversion (lesson? prejudice?) I wouldn't put it past them to be bitey...but it may depend on other factors too. I don't like to rule out ever keeping a species again but, well, I maybe scarred & scared from past problems with similar fish.

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
My cherry barbs & silver tips were not from a chain store but maybe it's more a farmed fish issue? I don't know...

I've only seen yours & a few other ornates, mostly in pics. Of course, given my serpae aversion (lesson? prejudice?) I wouldn't put it past them to be bitey...but it may depend on other factors too. I don't like to rule out ever keeping a species again but, well, I maybe scarred & scared from past problems with similar fish.
My cherry barbs were petsmart barb, except for my two youngest (males) who were born in my tanks. I think it comes down to the fact that I started 1 male to 5 females, but then they bred and I wound up with 3 males and 5 females for awhile. Now they're like 6 years old and I'm dwindling down to 2 males and 4 females. The 2 males I have left are the young ones born in my tanks and they're approx 2-3 years old now. The old ladies are docile little things. Love them dearly. Have been the hardiest fish I've ever owned.

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
My brochis babies are starting to lose their baby colours, gaining their adult green coats
20231218_205608.jpg20231218_205604.jpg

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
Some small rearranging.

1000119286.jpg

The baby brochis are so pretty at this in between stage
1000119087.jpg
1000119051.jpg
1000118994.jpg

Finally got close up clear shots of the hyphessobrycon elachys, had to do it during a water change, where they weren't sure where to go when the camera was there lol I love their blue eyes.
1000118659.jpg
1000118653.jpg

Corydoras Eques
1000119296.jpg

Mix group photo
1000119379.jpg

See this dude? Hallow? He got moved to my 135g because he was being a bully, picking fights with Flippy and Lorgie Georgie. Figured he could use the space in the 135g and learn humility by being the smallest fish there where they won't be bothered by his attempts of bullying lol
1000119426.jpg

And tetras. Amuses me how small the elachys are.
1000119297.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store