Someone please help!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Yes, two oscars by themselves need a 6ft, 125g to thrive. This is not only for room, but to maintain nitrate levels between weekly water changes.

AlyssaH16

Registered Member
Aug 23, 2015
Yes, two oscars by themselves need a 6ft, 125g to thrive.
I just got these oscars so their still babies. One maybe 2 inches and the other 1 1/2 inches maybe. So when I put all these fish in my 100 gallon I shouldn't add more?

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Alyssa, IMO, you need to decide which fish to keep. What you currently have is too much for a 100g.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
albino Oscar
red Oscar
convict
JD
peacock
Texas
Yellow Lab
FM
Acara
2 Malawi
3 pictus
2 bala
Pleco

You will also have problems down the road with the mix and compatibility. Too many bottom feeders and aggressive behavior over all even if you had a 500 gal tank that had a large foot print for territory.....

AlyssaH16

Registered Member
Aug 23, 2015
albino Oscar
red Oscar
convict
JD
peacock
Texas
Yellow Lab
FM
Acara
2 Malawi
3 pictus
2 bala
Pleco

You will also have problems down the road with the mix and compatibility. Too many bottom feeders and aggressive behavior over all even if you had a 500 gal tank that had a large foot print for territory.....
Most of these fish have been together since they were tiny little babies and I've read if you add as juveniles the aggressiveness wouldn't be as bad as if just adding in small quantities. I love all my fish and I couldn't image getting rid of any. I'm kind of upset, I didn't realize this was too many even for a 100 gallon.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Just as an example, I have an oscar and a green severum in a 75g and it's completely pushing the envelope. I too have had them together since they were tiny, cute little babies. They're two footballs now and this tank requires very light feedings and a weekly fin-level WC to keep nitrates below ~20ppm. Plus it's not a lot of room when they decide to get nasty towards one another.

AlyssaH16

Registered Member
Aug 23, 2015
Thanks for all the help. I'm going to start on water changes and I've also haven't been feeding them as much.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
It's just not being used to one another since you got them as babies. As they mature, they change and gender will come into play. Sooner or later, most times, big fish eats small fish. You have North American cichlids, South American and two types of African. Most with different eating habits and even environment needs. When purchasing fish, you need to think of the end result such as full size, gender, aggressiveness and territory.

AlyssaH16

Registered Member
Aug 23, 2015
It's just not being used to one another since you got them as babies. As they mature, they change and gender will come into play. Sooner or later, most times, big fish eats small fish. You have North American cichlids, South American and two types of African. Most with different eating habits and even environment needs. When purchasing fish, you need to think of the end result such as full size, gender, aggressiveness and territory.
Do you know exactly which fish these are? The 2 blue ones and the stripped yellow one at the bottom?

image.jpg

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Was the tank you bought them from labeled "mixed cichlids"?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store