Snail ID please?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

wiseiam

Here fishy fishy.....
Jul 3, 2006
Northern Virginia
Real Name
Felisha
Hello all! My husband came home with 2 snails (I told him to stop bringing me fish as my tank is almost crowded but he won't listen). A yellow one and a blue/green one. Could you please tell me what they are so I can properly care for them? He got them from Petsmart and the receipt just says 'snails'. Many thanks in advance... :)

20240328_142058.jpg 20240324_163406.jpg

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
They're apple snails... either the "mystery" snail or perhaps another species of apple. If you can get a pic showing the shape of the shell's coil it could help pinpoint which species. Some are not plant friendly, but a few are fine. They're pretty nice snails to keep, they'll appreciate calcium source like a birds cuttlebone from the petstore and some fresh green food like steamed zucchini, cucumber, bell pepper, carrot, etc. Algae wafers are also very much appreciated

wiseiam

Here fishy fishy.....
Jul 3, 2006
Northern Virginia
Real Name
Felisha
They're apple snails... either the "mystery" snail or perhaps another species of apple. If you can get a pic showing the shape of the shell's coil it could help pinpoint which species. Some are not plant friendly, but a few are fine. They're pretty nice snails to keep, they'll appreciate calcium source like a birds cuttlebone from the petstore and some fresh green food like steamed zucchini, cucumber, bell pepper, carrot, etc. Algae wafers are also very much appreciated
Fantastic! I will see if I can get better pics :) Thank you so much!!!

wiseiam

Here fishy fishy.....
Jul 3, 2006
Northern Virginia
Real Name
Felisha
NoodleCats NoodleCats

Is this what you needed? I hope I did this right. The yellow one I believe is the same but she won't flip over. I'll try to get a better pic of her tomorrow. Notice I said 'she'. Hehehe. And the blue/green one is a 'he'. I don't know for sure, but that's what I'm assuming :)

20240328_230607.jpg

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
NoodleCats NoodleCats

Is this what you needed? I hope I did this right. The yellow one I believe is the same but she won't flip over. I'll try to get a better pic of her tomorrow. Notice I said 'she'. Hehehe. And the blue/green one is a 'he'. I don't know for sure, but that's what I'm assuming :)

View attachment 233020
This site will help you see what angle you need

P. Diffusa is the more common "mystery snail" that's usually plant friendly.

Though it looks like you don't keep live plants, so species exactly at the end of the day won't be a huge deal in terms of care needs. Though many get larger than the common "mystery" snail.

wiseiam

Here fishy fishy.....
Jul 3, 2006
Northern Virginia
Real Name
Felisha
This site will help you see what angle you need

P. Diffusa is the more common "mystery snail" that's usually plant friendly.

Though it looks like you don't keep live plants, so species exactly at the end of the day won't be a huge deal in terms of care needs. Though many get larger than the common "mystery" snail.
Great! Thanks so much once again!

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
No problem! They can be just as amusing to watch as fish, they're really great pets.

wiseiam

Here fishy fishy.....
Jul 3, 2006
Northern Virginia
Real Name
Felisha
NoodleCats NoodleCats

View attachment 233020
Ok, so I did a little research and found a way to identify females/ males but for some reason, I can't tell with these pics. Anyone know?

1000016565.jpg

20240420_171912.jpg

20240420_171930.jpg

20240420_172157.jpg

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)