Small tanks- discussion thread

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tuvok

AC Members
Dec 16, 2004
Emg said:
Five gallon "river" tank:
Emg:
Would it be possible for you to post a little how-to on this tank? It looks like a really cool small tank project. I'm wondering specifically how you created the land section, how it is filtered and where is the heater hidden? Very inspirational setup by the way.

Oh yeah . . . and how is it being lit?

Emg

AC Members
Jan 16, 2005
Northeast Connecticut
emgstanks.blogspot.com
I wish I had taken pics of the tank while I was setting it up....but I didn't :huh:

I used a piece of plexiglass/lexan for a platform. I made a form from cardboard and my husband cut it to size at work. I siliconed it to the side of the tank by laying the tank on it's side and putting a heavy bead of silicone along the bottom edge of the platform and also the top edge. I proped it up with something, can't remember what, until it dried. It seems to be on there solid enough, but I am careful about pressing down on it anytime I fuss around with the plantings. If I were to do this again I'd make little plexiglass stilts for the platform, siliconing a few thin 'legs' under the platform just for good measure.

I have a sponge filter along the back wall under the platform, there is no heater. I have ADFs, a few endlers and one male betta in there, along with 2 redbellied newts, who stay up on the platform.... we keep our thermostat set at 70-72 in our house during the winter so the temps stay warm enough for the betta. I had tried to put a heater in it when I added the betta, but it didn't work out for some reason....temps wouldn't stay stable. Figured a steady 70-72 was better than 85 one day, then 70 the next.

I scooped some echo-complete for planted aquarium from one of my tanks and put a layer of it on the platform, along with a little bit of flourite. Picked a few small plants for it and set them in the substrate, putting a layer of moss that I got from my backyard...over all of that. I have many types of moss to choose from back there...lol...

That's it ! I do have to occasionally replace the moss with fresh, which is no problem at all. I just did a trimming and moss replacement in the tank this past week. I'll take some pics after I get back from NC.

I really like this tank as well....it's a no muss no fuss setup, just take the sponge off the filter from time to time and rinse it in the old tank water and wipe the sides down on occassion as well. All the fish in there are doing very well, also the frogs, which I've had for about 2 or 3 years now !

The only thing I would change in this tank is the gravel. I'm not happy with the color of what I have in there...not sure what I would replace it with if I ever do...but something less "brownish/orange"....maybe small river pepples with more of a greyish color, with a few larger pepples here and there.....

Anyway.....glad you enjoy it Tuvok !

OH...forgot to answer the "how is it being lit" question.............This tank has a light over it that comes with the hood. I can't remember what the wattage is, but I believe the bulb is a 12inch bulb, not sure....and I'm in NC right now and can't check...lol....

tuvok

AC Members
Dec 16, 2004
Thanks for the details Emg. I was trying to do something like that with my 38g but I just can't seem to come up with a plan that will fall within budget. Also becuse the only place I can keep the tank is in the basement, the only person who would derive any enoyment from watching this project is me and I would like to have something I can share with the family. A sensibly excuted paludarium project on a smaller scale seems like a very workable (and slightly less costly) way to go.

Ms.Bubbles

AC Members
Sep 26, 2005
Emg said:
Picked a few small plants for it and set them in the substrate, putting a layer of moss that I got from my backyard...over all of that.
Can you tell us which type of plant(s) you used here? Looks like they're growing both submersed & emersed from the water? Are they low-light plants?

Emg

AC Members
Jan 16, 2005
Northeast Connecticut
emgstanks.blogspot.com
I have no idea what type of plants those are......Picked one up somewhere, PetCo I believe....but whatever they are they grow VERY well on what lighting they get in this tank. I am having to trim them back quite often. I don't remember what the wattage is of the bulb....small 12inch bulb...maybe 9watts (???)..not sure.

These plants don't grow for long submerged......what you see there is a few plants that have grown down into the water from the platform, and then grow straight up out of the water.....so, part of the stem is under the water shooting off roots, but the base of it is up on the platform. Also, I take some of the cuttings from these plants and prop them up between the sponge filter and the back wall (stem in the water)...to hide the filter a bit and add something to the other side of the tank.

boet

AC Members
May 27, 2007
Alaska
What about White Cloud Minnows in small tanks?

I just wanted to add that I have 6 White Cloud Golden Minnows in a Baby Biorb (4+ gallons). They do not require a heater if you can manage to keep the biorb between 68-70. I do 50% weekly water changes. They are beautiful and fun to watch. Especially when the males display to each other :)

Dwarf Puffers

Dec 11, 2006
NS, Canada
Holy, those tnak suggestions are way OS!! Endlers in a 1g?! Come on! THey need atleast a 5g, and 4 is the max in that!!

minnesotagal866, your tanks are OS, especially your 5g. White clouds should be treated as danios.

Dwarf Puffers

Dec 11, 2006
NS, Canada
Holy, those tnak suggestions are way OS!! Endlers in a 1g?! Come on! THey need atleast a 5g, and 4 is the max in that!!

minnesotagal866, your tanks are OS, especially your 5g. White clouds should be treated as danios.

Heres some stocking:

5g: 1 male betta, 4 ghost shrimp
5g: 4 endlers, 4 ghost shrimp

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store