Siamese algae eater in 20 gallon

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
It's not only the size of SAEs, it's their activity level. I wouldn't keep any in a 20L or high. I had 3 in my 55. They were every bit of 6" and like flying sausages.

FishAddict74

AC Members
Dec 8, 2020
Huh? You would put a 6+ inch fish in a 20 gallon tank ? Even a 20 long would be er not advisable given how active this fish can be.
Then I must be thinking of something else, I had a flying Fox, which I believe is the same thing, in a 20 long back in the 90s and it was fine. It was moderately active, but not bouncing off the glass and I had it for around 2-3 years before selling it and it was around 4.5”

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
I've had SAEs once. Three of them in a 55 and they did really well for several years, and then all died off over the course of about 6 months. Never did determine why. Nothing had changed.

I actually love CAEs. If SAE's are sausages, the CAEs are logs, lol. I have never bought one, but I always seem to have a couple or so on hand because some newbie bought one and then realized it wasn't all that they were told it would be. They actually hold up to cichlids pretty darn well. They're fast enough they usually avoid taking a hit and tough enough that when they do they aren't instantly killed. Mine always seem to hit 9" or so, and I've always thought of them as swimming cigars. They're not bad for a large tank with large cichlids. They do need a 4' tank minimum, though, and a 6' is better because they really are quite active. :)

The sad thing about CAEs is that they are misunderstood and sold for a purpose they aren't meant for, so they've gotten a bad rap in the hobby. If people would do their homework and more people provided the right conditions for them, I think they'd have a better rep. When kept for the sake of just keeping them, they actually are a fun and interesting species.

WYite

Reactions: FishAddict74

jake72

AC Members
Jan 28, 2019
My understanding is the risk of CAE will eat the slime off of your favorite cichlid. Obviously yours did not or not to the extent that it caused a problem but that is the reputation some of us have come to associate with them. I actually am quite fond of my SAE (in a 120) and when i'm able to get a 500 gallon tank in a year I hope to add 3 more. I grew it out for a few months in a 29 but i could never see having an adult in anything smaller than a 55 and larger would be better. They are suppose to be excellent in large groups though you would need a hefty tank for that. In the 120 it does well though it eats like there is no tomorrow. This is the tank i keep it in. He was next to the lemon pleco in front sadly he zoomed off when i reposition to take the picture.... of course the minute i moved away he was back to gobble down more chow.....

x2.jpg

I've had SAEs once. Three of them in a 55 and they did really well for several years, and then all died off over the course of about 6 months. Never did determine why. Nothing had changed.

I actually love CAEs. If SAE's are sausages, the CAEs are logs, lol. I have never bought one, but I always seem to have a couple or so on hand because some newbie bought one and then realized it wasn't all that they were told it would be. They actually hold up to cichlids pretty darn well. They're fast enough they usually avoid taking a hit and tough enough that when they do they aren't instantly killed. Mine always seem to hit 9" or so, and I've always thought of them as swimming cigars. They're not bad for a large tank with large cichlids. They do need a 4' tank minimum, though, and a 6' is better because they really are quite active. :)

The sad thing about CAEs is that they are misunderstood and sold for a purpose they aren't meant for, so they've gotten a bad rap in the hobby. If people would do their homework and more people provided the right conditions for them, I think they'd have a better rep. When kept for the sake of just keeping them, they actually are a fun and interesting species.

WYite

Reactions: FishAddict74
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store