Should i stoop to chemicals?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SteveInEssex

AC Members
Nov 23, 2002
England
Ok people, thanks for the advice i will leave it be. Can i increase the amount of water I am changing? Or will this do more harm than good? I am currently taking out 25-30%, could I increase to 40-45%? Or not?

sChArF

AC Members
Feb 11, 2002
Calgary, AB
arofanatics.com
Keep in mind I don’t pay any attention to all of the numbers in general. And I have had success with tons tanks.
3 questions 1 answer

What size of tank?
What kind of filters?
What kind of fish in question?

I would recommend that you leave the filters and the gravel alone. Also Depending on your bioload I would do 1- 3 50% water changes a month. Just like you would due after it is cycled

slipknottin

the original legend
Jan 13, 2002
CT
Real Name
Connor
you can most certainly increase the amount of water your changing.

SteveInEssex

AC Members
Nov 23, 2002
England
Ok, thanks
I will increase my water changes and will maybe make them everyday.

My tank is 90 UK Gallons, I have an internal Juwel two stage filtration system, that just uses sponges, and a secondary Eheim professional 2206. Fish wise i will just list a few:

Large sailfin Plec 13-14 inches approx
2 Large Banded Leporinus 11 and 9 inches approx
2 Melanochromis Ciclids
Silver Shark
RTB Shark
Clown Loach
Banded Loach
etc etc.....

sChArF

AC Members
Feb 11, 2002
Calgary, AB
arofanatics.com
Those fish should be fine.

When i cycle a tank i just leave it runing untill i notice something is going on. fish not happy, plants changeing color, algea.
then i would do a weekly water change of like 50%

just to help everthing thru.

Good luck

SteveInEssex

AC Members
Nov 23, 2002
England
i dont keep any plants. Would plants help the cycling process significantly??? My fish have never got on with plants and just rip them up

achu

Registered Member
Jun 4, 1999
Austin, TX
How often are you feeding your fish?

You might want to cut back on frequency and/or amount of their feedings. It'll give your bacterial colonies a chance to catch up. The more food you put in, the more waste is generated, and the more stressed your fish will be until the cycle completes for a given rate of waste production.

T

TnCgal

All good points ! :)

SIE, you will want to refrain from using chemicals in your water for a reason that hasn't yet been brought up yet and I wanted to interject.

Chemical additives may "fix" a problem temporarily, but almost always will cause other problems by wreaking further havoc on your water chemistry. You may add the chemicals a few times and then find that you have a voraceous algae outbreak for instance.

One mistake that newbies/beginners make over and over again (and I did this myself, so I know !) is that they look for ways to short-cut or bypass altogether the cycling process. Impossible. You MUST go thru it in order to have healthy fish. The best solution for stress on fish due to ammonia/nitrIte toxicity is continuous water changes. Never underestimate the power of a water change ! It can cure SO many ailments you won't even need to think about chemicals in most cases. Strive for keeping your water as chemical-free as possible. Your fish will thank you. :)

Achu makes a good point about cutting back on feeding. This is a tried and true approach to cycling woes. There is also nothing wrong with vacuuming the substrate, feel free to vacuum away ! The harmful bacterial growth that results from accumulation of waste in the water will do greater harm to your fish than vacuuming it.

You can easily increase your water changes to 40-50%, every day or even every other day. Your nitrIte levels will fall on their own ... you just have to let nature take its course. It WILL happen.

I'm moving this thread over to the Newbie forum so that we can stay in touch with your situation and so that your thread doesn't get lost in the more advanced-type questions. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store