Should i stoop to chemicals?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

AnthonyNYC

AC Members
Nov 30, 2002
NYC
www.rx7s.com
I just went through the same thing. Here is what I did.

My tank was over 3 weeks old (55gal) and still the ammonia levels were high.

I have a fluval 404 and an undergravel filter with 2 402's. I figured the undergravel was perfect for bio.

Anyway, I was replacing 25% of the water every 2 days. Turns out that I was overfeeding also.

I went to the local petstore and inquried about the cloudy water as well as the high ammonia levels. They advised the same thing, that I needed to let the tank "level off" I even introduced some cheap starter fish for one week.

They guy behind the counter mentioned this bottle of bacteria that they have. I think it is concentrated bacteria lol.

Anyway, I buy the damn thing since I am desperate. It was very clear. I added 10capfuls to the tank and in 2 days all was ok. The levels dropped and the water is crystal clear.

It has been that way for about 4 days now.

I dont know if anyone ever heard of bottled bacteria but this is what worked for me.

Anthony

T

TnCgal

Hi, Anthony !

Yes, most of us have heard of that product, and there have been great debates here on the forum regarding their efficacy so I should tell you that to date, there has been no published documentation that bacteria in a bottle works on anything except separating your money from your wallet.

The bacteria necessary for the nitrification process cannot effectively be kept in a bottle on the shelf for months and then be effective by the time it hits your tank. They need a constant source of ammonia and oxygen in order to survive. :)

The fact that your water cleared at the same time that you used the bacteria in a bottle is really no more than a coincidence. Frequent water changes and time are the only two solutions for the cycling process. :cool:

EDIT:
Oops, so sorry ! I just realized you are new to the forum so let me welcome you to AquariaCentral, home of the fewest bacteria in a bottle users on the entire web ! :)

wetmanNY

AC Members
Stevein Essex now that you've stepped up the water changes and you're just rinsing the filter media, not changing them, you might consider "re-seeding" the tank with another scooping of gravel off the very topmost surface (half inch) of an established disease-free tank. Use a square plastic bowl to scrape it up and remember the nitrifiers are on the very surface of the substrate only. The more scrapings you can get the better. Rinse it gently with tank water (for tidiness sake only) and spread it all over the tank's present gravel.

The reason is that the nitrite-metabolising bacteria seem to be suppressed as long as there is some ammonia in the water.

You aren't stirring up your gravel unnecessarily, are you? Nitrifiers are well stuck to their substrate, but they need lots of oxygen and get set back if buried during bouts of "vacuuming."

Nitrite can permanently damage gills. The amount of salt already in your water is probably sufficient to minimize nitrite absorption. Nitrite-stressed fishes are gasping for oxygen and hang their heads up or down and avoid moving...

Yes plants would help. Still would, though your fish will eat them if you don't provide some spinach along with the duckweed. Planted tanks rarely have these "cycling" struggles.

HTH!

SteveInEssex

AC Members
Nov 23, 2002
England
Thanks for all your help everyone. Firstly, I do not have gravel, I use sand. I vacuum the bottom of the tank every time i do a water change. I have just completed a 50% water change, but have found that my nitrite levels are still as high as before hand. Should I not see an initial reduction in nitrite levels straight after a water change?? Even if it goes back up after. Also whilst we are on the subject, can I add some aquarium salt to de-toxify the nitrite? Or would you not bother?

T

TnCgal

Many people will tell you that you can add some salt, but the only time I recommend salt is for the treatment of ich, otherwise, I just find it unnecessary... but everyone has a different viewpoint about salt use.

You probably "won't" see much of a change in the nitrIte levels of your tank after a water change, and frankly, you wouldn't want to. You neeeeeed your nitrItes ! :) I emphasize that, because as I said, beginners to the hobby are very anxious to bypass the nitrogen cycle - but believe me it is essential and you will want those nitrItes present in order to make for a healthy tank later. I understand, I did everything possible too to speed things up when I was a beginner but I found that everything I did to eliminate the ammonia/nitrIte levels only prolonged the entire process. :(

What you are accomplishing by doing the water changes is keeping your fish comfortable during this process and to decrease your risk of fish loss !

The conversion of nitrIte to nitrAte is the longest part of the cycle, so be prepared to wait it out. The good news is, that once it starts to kick into gear, you will see your nitrItes totally gone in a matter of a couple of days ... once it falls it falls QUICK. Just keep an eye on your parameters and keep up with the water changes.

"Time and water changes... time and water changes... time and water changes.... "

Keep repeating that to yourself and you will be fine ! :)

SteveInEssex

AC Members
Nov 23, 2002
England
I am not trying to bypass the cycle or even make it shorter!!! I just want to keep my fish alive. Thanks for all your help and for the next couple of weeks I will stick to regular water changes. If I have any other adverse affects I will be back on here asking more questions lol. Suppose thats the end of this thread!!!

Thanks everyone

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store