Sewellia lineolatas are breeding

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I have Sho's old gastos & they love Repashy, as do the stiphodon gobies. I find if you boil the water then add the gel mix it's not as smelly as heating them combined in the microwave. I'm still working on fine tuning the water, a bit more than 3x the mix works well.

Oct 31, 2009
CA
Real Name
Sho
The gobies seem to love it more. Their tummies are always full :).

I took out the Repashy dish and found some fry. Some were bigger than others. Glad they are growing. My tank is a mess with algae as I'm too scared to scrub the glass and squish some fry as they are so little. I think I'll check the canister filter in 2 weeks or so the fry are easier to spot when cleaning the filter.

I haven't decided if I'm going to keep the group as I want to clean out all my tanks by the end of May so I don't have to deal with the summer heat even though it feels like summer most days now. I'm down to 3 tanks right now and hope to only have the sewellia tank up if I decide to keep them which is a 50/50 chance.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I've talked to Dan about his sewellia fry...I know what you mean about summer temps... if in only what may be, first year here. Keep me up to date...Macho male perc is getting bigger & more aggro.

Oct 31, 2009
CA
Real Name
Sho
I've talked to Dan about his sewellia fry...I know what you mean about summer temps... if in only what may be, first year here. Keep me up to date...Macho male perc is getting bigger & more aggro.
Has he and a female bred yet? I think one of them bred before I shipped them to you as there was some weird looking eggs or something under some rocks.

Update with some photos :).
Found 13 fry today in the dish. They're getting big. I compared them with a dime as I couldn't find a ruler. Try to ignore the zooming in the video. It's hard to hold the camera and dish. I fed the adults a piece of zucchini so I hope the fry find something to eat as I have no clue if they will eat the veggie yet.

DSC_0441-2.jpg
DSC_0455-4.jpg
DSC_0458-3.jpg
DSC_04672-2.jpg
DSC_0479-3.jpg
DSC_0481.jpg
DSC_0477-3.jpg

[video=youtube;PaxNj8cFlgs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaxNj8cFlgs[/video]

DSC_0441-2.jpg DSC_0455-4.jpg DSC_0458-3.jpg DSC_04672-2.jpg DSC_0479-3.jpg DSC_0481.jpg DSC_0477-3.jpg

vanillarum

AC Members
Jan 4, 2008
Mass.
Hey congrats ! I feed the fry frozen daphnia and frozen baby brine shrimp, along with Kens golden pearls. My sewellias seem to have gone into stealth mode as I very rarely see more than 1 or 2 at a time. Good luck.

MisaHasTheEyes

AC Members
Nov 21, 2008
Awesome work! I wonder if my tank having assassin snails and red cherry shrimp are keeping my loach population down, as I rarely have been seeing new fry. Time to reset something up, looks like...

Oct 31, 2009
CA
Real Name
Sho
Awesome work! I wonder if my tank having assassin snails and red cherry shrimp are keeping my loach population down, as I rarely have been seeing new fry. Time to reset something up, looks like...
I have cherries in mine and found a lot of fry even with the cherries breeding too. Not sure if your assassins are eating the eggs though as the cherries are the only other inhabitants.

Hey congrats ! I feed the fry frozen daphnia and frozen baby brine shrimp, along with Kens golden pearls. My sewellias seem to have gone into stealth mode as I very rarely see more than 1 or 2 at a time. Good luck.
I was thinking of feeding them frozen BB shrimp but was worried that it would get stuck in the sand, making it bad for the fry. They seem to be growing on the Repashy and algae. Not sure how fast they should be growing though.

Oct 31, 2009
CA
Real Name
Sho
Yea I thought so as the photos online have the fry at 1 cm in 41 days. I just hate looking for the fry when I do a water change on the tank.

vanillarum

AC Members
Jan 4, 2008
Mass.
Never had any issues with the BBS being stuck in the gravel. Of course, I have many other bottom dwellers in the tank that will eat it if the fry don't (corys, plecos, sids, farlos, and a hummingbird tetra).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store