Quitting the Hobby - Advice

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Max Taffey

AC Members
Oct 18, 2006
After a decade in the hobby, I have decided to shut down my aquarium. While I feel that I've been a diligent fishkeeper, and had good success with my tank, after I lost my favourite Angel Fish (6 years old) I admit I kind of lost my enthusiasm. I still keep the remaining fish healthy and happy, but I haven't been replenishing them. I still have a Clown Pleco that is 8 years old now, a single lonely khuli loach that is probably the same age, and 7 Lemon Tetras, one of which is many years old now (the rest are about 1 year old). My plants are fading now, so the tank is looking pretty ratty - it's not as lush and vibrant as it was, and I don't have the energy or enthusiasm to get back to it's former glory.
I actually have no idea what the best thing is to do with my remaining fish. I'd want to make sure they go to someone who is going to look after them. I'd love to hear from others who might have experience or at least advice for me. Thanks.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Do you have a local fish store you like and trust? You could give or sell your fish to them. How about a local fish club on facebook or the likes? I know I've given stuff away over my local FB fish site.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Well, I'm sorry you've lost the motivation to continue in this hobby, but I do understand. My husband & I have kind of traded off interest over 35 years & a few moves, including coast to coast last time.

As for fish rehoming, do you have a local club or friends in the hobby? I donated most, but sold a few fish to fellow board members & lfs (not here). As for equipment, if you're really sure you're done & don't have room to store it if you change your mind, Craig's List is a possibility or yard sale ( or even Goodwill). Think half retail $$ at most or $1/gallon (unless your stuff is really wonderful, ie: co2 & led lights or something really special, awesome stand?).

If you live close to me, I'd gladly take all your fish...for free. I have an aging school of lemon tetras of 3? generations in with a surviving gift stunted angel (kinda like your tank, lol). As for the loach & pleco, they're getting quite long in the tooth but may have a few years left (I had a clown pleco for 11+ years & kuhlis 8+). I think you should be honest about their age & likely limited lifespan...unless you have a mom & pop lfs & just give them away & hope for the best. Might work for your plants too, just give them to anyone willing to try them. Really, since moving here I have only bought plants once or twice, we have an awesome plant club.

Good luck!

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Agreed, find a local club and donate or sell them--most have small auctions at their monthly meetings. You likely won't get much, but if you donate them that money would go towards helping the club, and anyone who bought them would be doing so with the intent of caring for the animals properly.

I really wouldn't expect even 50% of retail on selling used equipment. $1/gallon, maybe, but even for top of the line equipment, used equipment doesn't go for much.

Max Taffey

AC Members
Oct 18, 2006
Thanks for the replies folks. I'll have to search out maybe some independent fish store - at the one I usually deal with (Big Al's) I see little kids leaving with bags of fish that I know aren't going to make it, and that's my main concern - I don't want these guys to end up dead because I didn't find them an experienced owner. Appreciate the feedback.

Reactions: MotionInSilver

MotionInSilver

AC Members
Nov 14, 2007
If youre attached to them post on FB to make sure they go with the ones you trust in your friend circle so you kinda can keep tabs on them and ive been there and done thay. Entirely shut down my fish room a couple of years of ago due to across the state move and wasn't motivated anymore and have just started trickling back into me that its my escape and passion.

Maybe changing it up to adding a personable cichlid like keyholes. they're one of the very few peaceful cichlids I am missing if its not an Angelfish you want to do again. Its up to you.

Reactions: Bren Murphy

adam0702

AC Members
Nov 21, 2016
Do you have a local fish store you like and trust? You could give or sell your fish to them. How about a local fish club on facebook or the likes? I know I've given stuff away over my local FB fish site.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store