Question about overstocked but going bigger soon

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Pinkey

AC Members
Nov 16, 2004
Denver
Real Name
Nate
I could be wrong but I really don't think I am. That tank is not overstocked in any serious way. When I read your original post I imagined you picked up a couple of rescue oscars or something. I assume by "population explosion" you mean fish babies. Everything that goes in to your ecosystem comes from the amount of food you feed. On commercial aquaponic scales they can predict exactly how much ammonia will be generated in a closed system of from X kg of food per day. They know the impact a kilogram of food will have on their system based on the number of liters/gallons of the entire thing.

Tiny baby fish eat however many mcg of food per day resulting in only mcgs of waste per day. Unless you've suddenly started feeding 4 times your normal amount you will be safe as the bacteria grows with your babies. Test the water but don't panic. Has your pH been 6 for a very long time or is this a new development? Is your tap water neutral? Whatever parameters you had a few weeks ago that inspired them to lay were good.

The key thing, I think, is noting whether these readings are consistent with, or a deviation from, historical norms. If these are similar, have fun watching the circle of life. If you've multiplied their food, and thusly their waste, keep up with the serious changes and scope Craig's List for your next adventure. If you're in need of a more urgent solution, it is often possible to grab an additional smaller tank, or even large Rubbermaid tub, to use as an additional tank. I have plumbed tanks together to share filters in the past when I needed to. X units of ammonia added to 20 gallons is twice as bad as X units of ammonia added to 40 gallons. The same pollutants are diluted simply by adding water to the closed system. It may not be pretty but you will sleep well at night knowing your fishy friends are healthy.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store