Please help me and my fishy

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

vikingzen

Registered Member
Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
Hi-
I'm fairly new at aquarium keeping, so please bear with me...
I have a 3 gallon Eclipse aquarium (carbon filter and bio filter) with a betta and the small cories. I've had the betta since Sept., and the cories are new inhabitants- just arrived a week ago.
Sometime ago I had a problem with planaria, which I have since managed to keep under control (haven't seen any around). I figured I was feeding my betta too much flakey food that just lodged in the gravel, and wasn't making enough water changes at first. I increased the water changes to every 3-4 days. Once I got the 3 little cories, I increased them to 2-3 days. I'm teaching myself not to overfeed the fish (betta is on different pellet foods, which he eats right away- and I give the cories catfish wafers (crushed, 'cause they're little) and think I'm finally doing ok.

I take out the chlorine/chloramides with a Waverly product, and usually add a little aquarium salt to the water, every 2 changes, or so. I have a heater set at 78 degrees, all readings are good, and the Ph is 7.4 (possibly a little higher).

My problem is- my betta has a white dot on/in each eye. It almost looks like an air bubble, but it's too obviously white. It's not filmy, and he does not have any other dots, symptoms, other that slight discoloration on his gills- but this only appears after he's been flaring a lot at his own reflection.

I don't know what to do. Could this be ich? But if it's ich, would it appear like that on both his eyes and nowhere else on him? Could it just be lighting- but I would have noticed before- there is a dot on/in (i can't really tell) each eye that wasn't there yesterday!

I read about pop-eye, and eye flukes, stress due to too many water changes... but he is eating well, swimming about normally...And the other three fish seem to be fine.

I'm afraid to medicate without knowing exactly what this is and hurting fish that aren't sick. I'm also sacred of waiting too long and wasting precious time.

I've attached a picture of him, and in it you can see the white dot in his right eye. I noticed it today.

Please help me.
I love my little fishies.
Thanks-
Vik
:(

cnv0015.jpg

morleyz

This space for rent
Sep 26, 2002
Illinois
www.allaquatic.com
Well, first of all, you're right in hesitating about medicating without knowing what you're medicating for. I'd raise the temp a couple of degrees and 1/2 tsp salt or so. Then as long as no one is showing any other serious symptoms, I would wait and observe. Watch very closely for growth and/or other spots. It could be ich. It could be a fungus, heck, it could be a lot of stuff, but I certainly couldn't tell from the picture, and I doubt you're going to hurt anything by waiting a few more days.

It's possible it's normal too...I had noticed white "spots" on my maylandia esterae about a week ago...the weird thing was that it was in the same spot on all 3 that I noticed it on. After further investigation, I noticed they had just developed a few "shiny" spots in their normal coloration...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store