Platies, 6F, 2M, planted tank for months, no babies

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

toffee

AC Members
Oct 30, 2005
I have these platies in the tank for months, all seems to be happy and active, minimum chasing. Good appetite, and no signs of stress, But NO BABIES, at all.

The tank is 20g long, 8 platies, 2 SAE, 2 Otto, 3 cory. water good, almost no nitrate. It has been more than 6 months together, males aren't chasing female, and just no spawning.

Now to change that?

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Do your females show a dark "gravid spot" (look it up)? How big are the SAEs? Do you have plants (real or fake) for any fry to hide in? I've seen platies drop a fry & swim back & eat it...Every fish likes live food; if it fits in the mouth, it's food.

The other thing is many livebearers like hard (ish) water, but they're not super fussy. Have you tested for GH (hardness)? pH?

You know we'd like pics, maybe you can have guessed genders wrong? Not enough cover?

Since you've been on AC for a long time now, I think you're no longer a newb...Welcome back?

Last edited:

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
You stated "males chasing female"

Only one female?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com