Photo update of Mikula Group Nyatzi

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Razzo

AC Members
Mar 5, 2009
Michigan - Indiana Border
Real Name
Russ
I have wanted to get some updated pics of Mikula Group Nyatzi for quite some time. Lately, I have been spending a lot of time in front of this tank, with camera in hand, attempting to, finally, create an updated thread (using the remotely triggered overhead flash). I’m done! Here it is…. Mikula Group Nyatzi is a wild caught group of Cyphotilapia gibberosa - Zaire Blue Mikula (2m/5f) that I keep in a 125-gallon tank (473.18 liters). Nyatzi is the alpha male of this tank. Common questions are, “what are those rocks/boulders?” and “what kind of lighting do you use?” The answers are: are Arkansas Field Stone and all the light in these photos comes from the flash.

These first couple images are the left and right sides of this tank (left then right)

Razzo

AC Members
Mar 5, 2009
Real Name
Russ
Here are a few images of the females.

This is “Lil Blue” she is a good mom and currently has some F1 fry (fathered by Nyatzi) in a floating nursery.

Lil Blue is on the right in this next image

These next two images are of "Annie" another female. In the second image, she is tumbling eggs.

Razzo

AC Members
Mar 5, 2009
Real Name
Russ
Lastly, a few more images of the tank…

Right side of the tank (Lil Blue is the bottom right)

Nyatzi striking a pose

Thank you for coming a long for the ride.

Russ

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Terrific shots! TY!!!

Duckie

AC Members
Mar 14, 2015
If the flash was the only light means all these pictures were done at night? Maybe some ambient light, but not enough to effect the images? Do the fish mind the flash at all?

These are some awesome pictures. Not that it really matters, but gotta ask: which camera, lens, trigger, and flash? Gear does matter, but only if you know how to use it - and it very much looks like that you do know what you are doing. :)

Oh, looked a little closer, and the shadows are nice and soft - is there a modifier on the flash?

Last edited:

Razzo

AC Members
Mar 5, 2009
Real Name
Russ
If the flash was the only light means all these pictures were done at night? Maybe some ambient light, but not enough to effect the images? Do the fish mind the flash at all?

These are some awesome pictures. Not that it really matters, but gotta ask: which camera, lens, trigger, and flash? Gear does matter, but only if you know how to use it - and it very much looks like that you do know what you are doing. :)

Oh, looked a little closer, and the shadows are nice and soft - is there a modifier on the flash?
I guess, I could have explained that a little better :) The flash over powers all other light sources. I do have lights on the tank but, when using the flash, they only serve to help you focus on the subject and they don't add any "color" to the image.

Camera is an entry level DSLR, a Canon EOS Rebel T2i and the lens is a Tamron wild angle zoom (24mm). Flash is a Canon Speedlite 430EXII and the remote transmitters are Yongnuo YN622C.

To diffuse the light, I made my own diffuser, a styro container with a hole cut in the top :)

Thanks for the kinds words!

Cheers,
Russ

Razzo

AC Members
Mar 5, 2009
Real Name
Russ
You have some beautiful fish. Bit of a noob question but what kind of fish are they? I dont know much outside of goldfish.. Lol also, how is 'Nyatzi' pronounced may I please ask? :)
First: love your user name - we are cat people too :)

They are commonly known as "frontosa" which is not totally accurate as their species name is "gibberosa." Full name is: Cyphotilapia gibberosa (Zaire Blue Mikula). Mikula being the collection place where they were rounded up in Lake Tanganyika, Congo, Africa.

"Nyatzi" is Setswana and it is translated "the lover." I don't know how to write in phonetic characters.... the N is long and the rest is pronounced like the game Yahtzee. Emphasis is on the N.

You have to be careful what African name you give your frontosa because they will live up to their name. I once named an Alpha male, Ntchwaidumela "He who greets with fire." He proceeded to kill six of his siblings. From now on, they get more peaceful names :)

The alpha male in my 240-gallon tank is named "Tau" translated "lion" and the subdominant male earned his African name when he snuck in a spawn with one of Tau's females. His name, "Ntate" which is translated, "Father." I have fun with it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store