Oranda with Dropsy - Is it time to Euthanize her?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

societyfive

Registered Member
Nov 28, 2016
I went on vacation for a week, and when I came back, my oranda was showing some signs for what I believe to be dropsy.
Her belly is really swollen and her scales are beginning to raise. One of her cheeks is really swollen and she's got a large swollen white spot around her eye. She has some white in the creases of her wren.
I don't know how she's been eating because I haven't been here to monitor it. She's still swimming around but some if her movements seem strange (I might also be over examining her)

My question is: How do I know it's time to euthanize her? I don't want her to be uncomfortable, but I also don't want to euthanize her before it is her time to go.

I've put in some fish salt and stress coat to hopefully make her more comfortable.

I have had her for many years. I just bought her an upgraded tank (60 gallons) for my upcoming move. It's killing me that she may never be able to swim in it. I'm really torn up about this. I got her after my recovery and she means alot to me. I don't want her to be in any pain.

Please help.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Do you have a reading for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate in PPM for the tank? What is your normal water change schedule and amount?

I'd keep nitrates as low as possible with water changes and monitor for progress.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store