one week in to my new tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lilnipper

AC Members
Dec 3, 2002
Wisconsin
Visit site
Here's what I have going so far:
29 long
Ammonia: 0
KH: 0-3
pH: 8.5+ (that is my main concern right now)
I've been reading some of the posts about using peat or driftwood rather than chemicals to lower the pH, but they seem to say that chemicals don't work well with a high KH level. Since mine is so low, is it worth it to give this a try? I was thinking cichlids, but it still seems too high for several varieties, and I am not sure about the softness of the water being a problem. Is it too soft?
I am sorry, I decided to go with a cycle using fish. Just seemed a little easier at this point in my career (I'll probably be blasted for that one!). I read an article that for cycling purposes to have 1" of fish per 5 gallons. Is this correct? That would mean about 6 platy's for my 29 long. Think that will work, or should I be thinking something else? Is it too early to add the fish yet?

Thanks Again,

Lilnipper

Last edited:

wetmanNY

AC Members
High pH combined with low KH sounds like an artificial situation that comes from your water utility softening water with the lime/soda method. (more at www.skepticalaquarist.com/ in the Water folder).

The result of this processing is water depleted of CO2. Drop your water level for more turbulence from the filter outflow and see if your high KH doesn't fall as CO2 diffuses in from the atmosphere...

Is my hunch right?

Turbo

Im going crazy
Dec 1, 2002
Minnesota, USA
Visit site
Co2

Yeah, I was going to ask if you had live plants or not....cause the CO2 will help you drop the pH.

Turbo

Im going crazy
Dec 1, 2002
Minnesota, USA
Visit site
Co2

You better check your CO2 concentrations then....fake plants dont seem to absorb the CO2 that live plants do. :D But since you are using CO2 to help lower your pH...you might as well add some live plants to make it more natural. Of course you better check your light measurements. If you have alot of CO2 you need good wattage....atleast 3 watts per gallon to force the plants to absorb the CO2 more effectively...Otherwise you might poison your fish.

Turbo

Im going crazy
Dec 1, 2002
Minnesota, USA
Visit site
Wisconsin

Lilnipper...this is off the topic, but where in Wisconsin are you from? I live in St. Cloud, MN now but I grew up in Rhinelander.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store