Newest New Newbie here

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

TeaThyme

Registered Member
Apr 14, 2022
Hello,
This is my first time posting and I have to disclose I don't have fish or anything yet. I am doing tank planning because as a child I saw my family keep fish and the parameters were usually wrong (I learned after doing more research). I know a little bit about fish keeping as I have been planning to get a betta for a while. I have a tank and some tank stuff that is not being used in my childhood home. I am currently in my senior year of college (graduating in the fall) and I am planning to have a fish(s) as a first "pet" to keep me company. I know this may be annoying to post, as I don't have fish, but any advice is helpful.

If you haven't left yet and are willing to give some advice or tips I would really appreciate it. I plan to have a betta in a 15-20 gal with coolie loaches, siamese algae eaters, Amano shrimp, and Malaysian trumpet snails. Gravel substrate and live plants are also part of my plans along with rock hides.
I wanted to ask more experienced fish keepers if the fish combination is a terrible idea or if this is too much for the size of my tank. I understand cycling and quarantining fish are important and do plan to do so with every group of fish I get. I also wanted to ask if there is anything I should add to my tank besides the basic cycle (I saw on some forums that bettas do better with tannins in the tank and that having coolie loaches will help control the population).

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Welcome to AC!

Check out...

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Yes, welcome to AC. Good post Bob.

I will add that siamese algae eaters get too big for your planned tank. They grow to 5 or 6 inches, way too big for a 20g.

I love loaches & in a 20g tank 6 would be fine for kuhlis & a betta. I preferred striped. My pangio semicincta seemed much more "people friendly" than black pangios (kuhlis genus name).

If you are so inclined, live plants would be beneficial for both loaches & betta. They love to lounge & graze on the leaves. We can help with those if you want...when you're ready.

I'm very happy to see you learning before you get any fish. That is by far the best way!

TeaThyme

Registered Member
Apr 14, 2022
Hello,
I just wanted to update after double-checking everything and wanted to ask some questions. So I talked to my family and the tank is a 35. I also have a 70 gal that I might be able to salvage (big might). Is having a space too wide exhausting for a betta. I know that they can get exhausted if the flow of the filter is too much, but I am not sure if it is the same way with an extra-long tank? Also, I wanted to ask if pangio semicincta would be able to control the trumpet snail population or if they would be enough along with some shrimp to control algae without getting any snails.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
So, what are the dimensions of your 35g? There are 3 common shapes; 36in x 15 x 12 (I think) & a 30 x 12 x 24inch tall (maybe) & 48 x 12 x 12 I haven't had any tank with those dimensions, but it shouldn't matter too much, a betta will be ok in any.

A small filter (or 2) with some calm areas your betta will be fine. You can break up the flow with decor; rocks, wood, plants, like that. Some bettas like current to play in, some don't. Keep in mind they may have lived in a small jar & will need to build up some muscles before they get to "surfing".

My pangios didn't eat trumpet snails, most small fish can't...they have a "trapdoor" & very hard shells. You can reduce their numbers by feeding less & baiting & removing them. A few are good for keeping the substrate cleaner & aerated. Pond snails can be eaten more easily but like MTS, they will breed like crazy with excess food. If you're not squeemish ponds can be squished against the glass & betta, kuhlis & shrimp will eat the leftovers. Look for & remove the jelly-like little blobs as best you can.

I loved neocaridina shrimp (red cherry, but many other colors too. pick a color & stick with just 1). Caridina shrimp are more fussy about water (crystal reds, etc). The betta & pangios may eat tiny shrimplets, but that's ok if you have some decor for them to hide in. Some bettas are better hunters than others...Amano shrimp are larger & don't breed in freshwater...maybe more fish safe but not as pretty.

You might want some other fish too in a bigger tank. Cardinal tetras might work but I like rasboras. Either harlequin, espei or red tailed, say at least 8 of any 1 species or more depending on your tank shape. Same with kuhlis, 6 is a bare minimum, 8 or lots more is more fun, depends on the tank.

Another fish you might consider is a brushy (or bristle) nose pleco. Good at eating some types of algae & interesting in their own way.

We can discuss plants later if you want...

Reactions: TeaThyme

TeaThyme

Registered Member
Apr 14, 2022
1651072520687.png
So this is about what the tank looks like (sorry I don't quite have the measurement, I think it is a 30x23x12). The tank is tall with a bowed front. I am not sure about filtration or heaters (I think I may going to buy my own even if it comes with them since the filter hasn't been used in 5-8 years). I would love plant suggestions so far I am thinking of pogostemon stellatus, water Sprite, water wisteria, and anubis. I am not sure if those would be good for the betta, shrimp, (maybe snails) and loaches though. I would really love suggestions! Thank you so much!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I would try out the old filter before you buy a new 1. I have several 20+ years old, some sat for years between using again.

Sand or very fine gravel is good for most bottom fish like kuhlis. They also would like a hiding place like a piece of driftwood with space underneath.

Wood is also good for some easy plants like anubias & java fern. They are not planted but tied (with sewing thread) or glued (with super glue gel) to wood or rocks. I would say water sprite (a fern) is pretty similar looking to wisteria (a stem plant). Maybe just try 1 to see. Wisteria might be easier, sprite grows very bushy as baby fern grow on the leaves.

I don't think I've grown pogostemon, not for very long anyway. It needs higher light & likes co2.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store