Need suggestions for setting my fish tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

sandradavid

Registered Member
Apr 17, 2024
As a beginner, I'm thinking about setting up a fish tank. What fish do you suggest for a beginner like me? Also, which type of tank is easier to handle for beginners: freshwater or saltwater? And what size tank would you recommend? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

kiddevo

AC Members
Sep 7, 2010
As a beginner, I'm thinking about setting up a fish tank. What fish do you suggest for a beginner like me? Also, which type of tank is easier to handle for beginners: freshwater or saltwater? And what size tank would you recommend? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Contrary to common belief, the larger the tank the better in terms of changes in water quality. Small tanks require more upkeep to keep the water habitable. Check out the Sticky on cycling tanks before starting.

Also:

Good luck!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
It will depend on what fish you'd like to keep. & kiddevo is right, the larger the tank, the easier it is to keep stable...& stable is very important to keeping fish well. kiddevo has linked good articles to help you get started,

Since you're on the AC freshwater section & that's all I've kept, that's the advice I'll give. A 10g is pretty small, you won't be able to keep more than a couple species; many fish like to be in groups of at LEAST 6 & not enough room for more than fish that stay quite small. Keep in mind that most fish in shops are juveniles, some many grow a LOT! A 20g is a nice smaller tank but, again, it depends on the fish you want to try. Plan to commit a n hour or 2 for maintenance weekly or so. Water changes are very important!

You'll need a tank, stand, light, filter, substrate, siphon & bucket just for starters. Tank set ups sold as kits often don't have the best products, just the cheapest.

If money may be an issue, a used tank might be a good way to go. Keep in mind that you don't want to pay for stuff that's old or not to your "style". I prefer a more natural looking tank although early on we did have beautiful blue gravel. Old lights may not be worth anything if not LEDs. I'm just switching out some of mine as my fluorescent, PCs etc die off. As a beginner you don't need fancy plant light or substrate (we can help with easy plants later). Don't use their ancient food or iffy heater. If you want to go used we can help more.

Look at a few shops & online to see what fish attract you. Give us your list & we'll help narrow down choices by compatibility & size. Many of us have kept many different or similar fish over many years. Let us help you avoid mistakes we've made.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store