Need some pointers :)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

RenK777

Registered Member
Sep 4, 2016
Hi! Newbie (somewhat) here... I had a fish tank for years when I was younger. Despite the fact that I had no clue what I was doing, I was pretty successful in my ignorance. Never had an issue until the end of a 10 year run when my breaker panel went and the drop in temp in my condo (it was October/November) seemed to induce a bout of ick. Lost all my fish but one really large angel that a local pet store was happy to take and quarantine. That was the last time I had a tank...almost 20 years ago. Currently, I have a koi pond but that's an entirely different thing. We recently set my 7 yr old up with a small 10 gallon starter tank and it's going quite well...and making me nostalgic over my old tank. Another setup just wasn't in the budget and no matter how much I scoured Craigslist, I wasn't very lucky in finding a larger tank and setup for free. Not sure how religious you all are but I decided to pray for a tank. And all the extras...because that's the only way I'd get one. A little odd, perhaps, but God has come through for me before.

A couple days ago, my children were being particularly naughty and decided to raid some rocks from my neighbor's porch. While they're only 7, 4 & 4, that's not something I tolerate so I marched them over to our neighbor with their little box of stolen finds to return them and apologize. Not only did he laugh and encourage them to take more, he asked if I wanted his fish tank. Seriously? I figured it might be a nice upgrade for my daughter if it was a 20 or 30 gallon but no...it's a 121+ gallon with cabinet, filter, heater, aerator, etc. Oh, and the rocks in a pile in the back yard. !!!! The thing is a beast! So I'm in a bit over my head. I have a cousin whose Mollies bred and he has 11 left that he asked me to take. I really like Mollies so I'm happy with that. Once I get the tank established and a biofilter going, those will be my first fish. I'd like to start with creating a habitat before investing in more fish so these are my questions:

1) The tank is 60 X 18 X 26. There are 2 light fixtures that hold 2 bulbs apiece. I'm wondering what bulbs I need if I want to grow live plants. And how long do I leave the tank lit? 6 hrs? 8 hrs? Can I run an LED strip alongside them and keep it on low when the bright lights are off or will that still mess with the Photosynthesis cycle? What if I kept the LEDs on a moonlight option when the daylight bulbs are off?

2) Which plants do you recommend? I know they might be overplayed but I do love java ferns. I have my eye on some others as well but I'm worried that as a beginner (used to have plastic plants in my old tank), I might kill them. I do have some live plants growing in my daughter's tank but hers is lit with an LED panel and it's been trial and error so far with getting them to survive.

3) As I mentioned, my first fish will be 11 mollies. I don't want a ton of fish; I'd rather a nice amount that has plenty of room to swim. I was thinking those mollies, maybe 20 guppies, some neon tetras, some gouramies, a few yellow glow fish (because they look so cool under the LEDs), and a couple of plecos. Total...maybe 50 or 60 fish. Would this amount/mix be okay? Any red flags?

I guess that's it for now. If you think of anything else I should know, let me know. Hoping to get tank set up in next 2 days...will utilize koi pond water to help establish it since our pond is really healthy and has perfect levels. Then I'll let it run for a couple weeks before getting my mollies. So excited...over the moon, really <3 Thanks, all!

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
1) I like a combo of 6500K and 100,000K. 8 hrs a day should be OK, you can always adjust later. I have no experience with LED lights, but you idea should be OK too.
2) I am a lover of Echinodorus Swords. In a tank your size, they should be fine. Java Ferns are OK, and can grow fast and big with enough light. I had one that grew so big it filled an entire 5gal bucket when I too it out.
3) Nice and colorful mix. I am not a mollie-lover, but I do like the all black Mollies. I do not like mixing Live-beares and tetras, but I know it can be done.

Reactions: RenK777

WailuaBoy

AC Members
Aug 10, 2015
I like jungle val in larger tanks and they are easy to grow

RenK777

Registered Member
Sep 4, 2016
Regarding the lights, should one light contain 2 6500K bulbs and the other the 100000K bulbs or do I put one of each in each hood or whatever you call the light fixture (I know...newbie haha)

I'll have to look up those swords...if they're what I think they are, I'd love to add a few to the mix!

So it's a go then on the Javas...yay!

As for the mix of live-bearers and tetras, why is that not a good idea?

Thanks so much!!!

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
If me, I would alternate--a 6500, 100,00, 6500, ect.

I do not like to mix them because of their water differences.
Tetras==Soft acidic water
Live Beaters==Hard alkaline water.

Hendre

AC Members
Sep 7, 2016
Anubias and java fern are great low light plants, i am growing these with a single 6500k bulb, but i plan on getting another.
I have lights on 12-14 hours a day and use Seachem Flourish for some extra boosts and it keeps them going well.

Swordtails might be a better livebearer for your tank since they can take a wider range of conditions that could accommodate tetras better. Khuli loaches, zebra loaches or some corydoras for bottom level activity would be great and are very fun to watch in a large group.

Good luck!

Haileycookie11

AC Members
Sep 4, 2016
I have a question, I'm getting a new 29 gallon tank and I can decide between a Top Fin Starter kit or a Marineland Bio-Wheel kit. Does anyone have any experience with any of these products, if so tell me which is better!! I'm leaning towards the Top Fin, just because it's cheaper and i have to spend my own money, after all I'm only 13! :)

Hendre

AC Members
Sep 7, 2016
I have a question, I'm getting a new 29 gallon tank and I can decide between a Top Fin Starter kit or a Marineland Bio-Wheel kit. Does anyone have any experience with any of these products, if so tell me which is better!! I'm leaning towards the Top Fin, just because it's cheaper and i have to spend my own money, after all I'm only 13! :)
get the best you can afford, aquaclear are usually the best HOB filters

whenAshes.remain

AC Members
Sep 16, 2016
CT
Real Name
Trev
Mollies are really cool fish. Brave too... when I would clean the gravel or decor they would start "nibbling" my arm. That being said... do you know how lucky you are? I mean a 120 with the cabinet and supplies would run you several hundred-1k. It adds up quick. God came through for you!

whenAshes.remain

AC Members
Sep 16, 2016
CT
Real Name
Trev
Hello. I have two Marineland Bio-Wheel filters... one is actually the Emperor 280 with spray bar. I've had no issues with them and they are both about five years old. I think the bio-wheel is still a good concept. It works... just need to do the proper aquarium maintenance. But yea they are durable. Petco has a new line of filters btw... they look really nice. Even design wise. Good luck.

Reactions: Haileycookie11
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store