My introduction

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Borrego

AC Members
Jun 30, 2023
Just wanted to give a brief introduction as to why I have come here.
I was active with fresh water aquariums in the past, but have been away for 20 years, no tanks at all. Much has changed regarding fish keeping in that time. Most notably, the lighting and availability of live plants. Also, though, the availability of ordering fish on line as an option to your local fish store.
However, I come here simply as a trusted source of information, a one stop for questions to be asked as well as answers and information to be had. I also enjoy the various forums available.
I currently have a 29 gallon loaded with so much driftwood the water is brackish, similar to the color of a cup of tea. I currently have a race going on between bladder snails and ramshorn snails competing to see who can populate the tank the quickest.
Above that one, in the same custom made wooden stand, is a 15 gallon tank with 2 white goldfish. I will not bore you with their names.
I'm not real technical when it comes to posting photos, otherwisethere might be a few posted with this.
In a few short words, this is my freshwater existence at the moment.

Apr 2, 2002
New York
Welcome to the site and back into the hobby. I have two quick observations that might be helpful.

The wood does not turn your water brackish, salt does this. Brackish water is normally found at the interface of fresh and salt water. I have more salt than fresh and less than salt. What the wood does is stain the water with the tannins from it.

Next, depending on what species of goldfish you have it is possible a 15 gal. is nowhere near adequate for one lest alone 2.

Goldfish are not koi but rather descendants of the Crucian carp (Carassius carassius). Goldfish remain one of the most popular ornamental species and are often found in garden ponds and home aquaria. These fish generally do best if kept in cool waters (55°–68° F, 12°–20° C) with abundant plant life and adequate aeration. There are more than 30 varieties of ornamental goldfish available in the pet trade today.
from https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/agricultural-and-biological-sciences/carassius-auratus

The Truth about Tanks

The fact is that you will need a large tank to keep your goldfish in. For common goldfish or comets, a 55 gallon is optimum (it will hold about 2 or 3 fully grown fish). For smaller varieties, a 30 gallon for 2 or 3 will suffice. It is perhaps better to obtain a large living space for your fish from the start rather than waiting for them to outgrow a small tank before making a transition. Goldfish grow quickly, especially when cared for well, and they will need as much space as you can provide. A small tank or fishbowl does not provide as much space, and can sometimes stunt the growth of goldfish or cause other developmental problems. In a large tank, they will live longer, happier lives, and grow to their full potential.
from https://www.csh.rit.edu/~tonyl/goldfish/testarea/advcare.htm

While I have never kept goldies, I have known some very experienced fish keepers who do. They would suggest even more space is needed than in the quote above.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Oh, I think I replied to your other thread about test kits & wood, etc. No matter, except that now I know you have some experience...& that can make a huge difference! Can I assume you understand about nitrogen cycling from your old days?

I may be confused about some stuff but I can't post pics easily either...

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Welcome to AC!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store