my favorite algae :)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Ooh, that's impressive Noodles! :D

Thanks dougall, I've read the 1 2 punch & it's a black out followed by or concurrent with Excel as far as I recall. I've pipetted Excel after manually removing as much as I reasonably could. I can knock it back until I get lazy...you know, pretty soon...

I find BBA happy with both low & high flow. My main water change routine is to remove as much as I can, Excel & refill...It's not as bad as it has been. But if my husband does the WC...well, not as much removal (sigh). I've said please let me do it to no avail...He is very good at duckweed scooping but thinks he's "helping" with WCs & just does his thing. I know it's not his fault, I try not to be crabby...spouse deafness is often the rule...

Maybe I'll try a couple nerites. I think they're pretty but the only time I tried 1 it was right before vacaction & I think it starved in QT. I'll have to see if I can learn to sex them, I don't want eggs all over. Not as bad as BBA but not something I want either. I don't want mollies or flag fish.

I have not done hair algae removal the last few days. Really, I know I can conquer it soon. BBA, duckweed & java moss, not so much...It's always something...

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
Maybe I'll try a couple nerites. I think they're pretty but the only time I tried 1 it was right before vacaction & I think it starved in QT. I'll have to see if I can learn to sex them, I don't want eggs all over.
Look when they're on the glass at the store, males will have a fold of flesh in front of their eyeballs under the antenna, females will not.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Thanks, I'll have to study pics to make sure I get it :) My water is pretty soft here but I do add crushed coral to most tanks. they "should" be ok but I probably should test before I get any. I appreciate your help Noodles!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Oh, that's different than I remembered! I'll have to get some "fresh" peroxide or at least check the date on my open? bottle. Not something I use often but usually have.

Thank you dougall, you're always very helpful with all my issues :D

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Peroxide is normally useless after being open a week or 2.

At least where aquariums are concerned.

Just get a new small bottle to make sure it's going to work correctly, it's normally the biggest reason treating with it does not work.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I think I mostly used it as a "dip" for new plants back in my more paranoid days. Safer than bleach but not great either.

I consider it "useable" if it fizzes on people wounds but I know it's not the same in tanks, more diluted. I will put it on my shopping list.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Alum or potassium permanganate work well on plants to not cause my h stress.

A soak in chlorinated water can work wonders, especially in quarantine, can work wonders too.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Yeah, that's what I do now, chlorinated water is good enough from clubbers plants. I know PP but had not heard of alum...sounds like a veggie pickling thing...What's the deal with it?

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Yup.. used for pickling

Does more to get rid of parasites rather than algae

Having an aquarium full of hungry shrimp (esp anano)can do wonders for algae after that.. if you are worried about that. As can converting to emersed growth too.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store