Marine Discussion: 90g FOWLR (first SW tank) journal

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

macphoto

AC Members
Aug 19, 2005
Yes, it still basically looks like that. I did move a few more scoops of sand down the refugium, trying to thin down the main tank's sand bed a bit. I also removed the center powerhead... the clowns were handling the current ok, but they just seemed to be struggling all the time. With just the two MJ1200s and the sump return, I'm in the neighborhood of 1000gph, so it should be fine.

--Mike

macphoto

AC Members
Aug 19, 2005
corbinwelter said:
so you are not going to use a wet/dry filter?
Nope, no wet/dry. Just a sump, skimmer, refugium, live rock, and detritivores. So far it's working great... ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates are all zero, and the clean-up guys make short work of any food that makes it past the fish.

--Mike

macphoto

AC Members
Aug 19, 2005
lbear said:
What is your lighting setup? Never hear you mention it.
Nothing fancy for lighting... just a dual-strip normal output fluorescent with one white and one actinic blue. I was doubtful as to whether or not this would light up the tank sufficiently (LFS insisted it would), but it really does look fine.

--Mike

macphoto

AC Members
Aug 19, 2005
More from the "what the heck is this creature in my tank?" files...

One of my daughters spotted this thing on the overflow box... any idea what it is? Kinda looks like a 3-legged starfish of some sort.

--Mike

colesy

AC Members
Sep 18, 2005
After consulting with a few friends it looks like star shaped one looks to be a GREAT close-up of a Asterina star. Most are reef-safe, however some are noted to much on corals....

The other pic looks like a feather duster worm casing..

macphoto

AC Members
Aug 19, 2005
colesy said:
After consulting with a few friends it looks like star shaped one looks to be a GREAT close-up of a Asterina star. Most are reef-safe, however some are noted to much on corals....
Very interesting... is it normal for them to only have 3 legs?

The other pic looks like a feather duster worm casing..
Really? I assumed they were snails (they have that "spiral" kind of look). Again, I've got probably a hundred or so of those, mostly on the back glass.

--Mike

itstheantitang

A man, struck down in his prime...
Oct 1, 2005
If you have good eyesight and the time is right the spiral-white-dots (I have them) will be filtering food with a red crown, like a featherduster.
It really is cool.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store