Long Fin Bichir: LOOK! are they RARE?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

patoloco

De seguro no sabes lo que dice aqu
Oct 20, 2005
Costa Rica
wetpatoloco.tripod.com
Right, It's a Polypterus Senegalus, with some haircut issues. :D

My first thought was the Marbled bichir (Polypterus palmas) for the legnht of the fins, but it's not.

It's an african species (like all or most other bichirs). Tropical, predator, up to 42cm. Keeping it requires a large tank, with hard water and ph8.

Not for begginers.

Last edited:

fish_breeder_05

American Idiot
Aug 23, 2005
Hastings, NE
(In the words of Chris Farley) Holy Snickes!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :thm: :thm: :clap: that is great! can you find an ornatus like that?

StreetCypher

AC Members
Apr 18, 2004
vancity, BC
Visit site
patoloco said:
Right, It's a Polypterus Senegalus, with some haircut issues. :D

My first thought was the Marbled bichir (Polypterus palmas) for the legnht of the fins, but it's not.

It's an african species (like all or most other bichirs). Tropical, predator, up to 42cm. Keeping it requires a large tank, with hard water and ph8.

Not for begginers.
None of the palmas species has fins that long. Long finned senegals are specifically bred for the long fin trait.

And yes, all species are native to Africa.

Sizes range from 1'-3' adult size, p. senegal maxes out around 30cm, or 12-13"

They are not picky at all about water parameters, as long as they stay stable.

Easy fish to keep,

for more info swing by
http://aquaticpredators.com/forums/index.php?showforum=42

sumthin fishy

I eat spam
Aug 22, 2005
central california
Real Name
mike
How much does monsterfishkeepers pay you for these shameless plugs? Do you have anything to say other than "come see monsterfishkeepers" ? Well, besides, " look at this fish" and include a link to MFK?

Last edited:
Reactions: pimpStik
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store