Lighting for Mbuna Cichlid tank...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cichlidfirsttimer

AC Members
Dec 28, 2016
I have heard that having the lights on all the time sometimes bring out (extra) aggression in the cichlids. I did a bit of research on lighting because I would like to have the proper lighting. I am hoping to bring out the colors in them, as well as hoping to keep it as peaceful (as possible).
I heard the 50/50 lights are supposed to be good.
Any other suggestions?

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
For something to just light up the tank, the sky is the limit. I've got a cheap eBay 48" LED strip light over my oscar and severum 75g. It's in the 10K color/temp range and has blue moonlights that I don't use. It's on a lamp timer for around 8hrs/day. I've had it going for a few years now. Depends on the colors of your fish, but reds, greens and blues (LED lights) can bring out the colors in fish. I've got plant bulbs over my goldfish tank that are kind of a rosette color. It makes the reds and oranges pop on the fish.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
I would never just keep the lights on any tank for 24/7
Fish, like humans, need to sleep too.

Reactions: calcal2

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
Having light on all the time can increase aggression, for exactly the same reason that when people don't sleep they get grumpy. There are other problems you will have if you leave the light on all the time as well, including loss of color as you will increase stress. The best thing to do to increase color is food, feed a variety of foods. The next thing is cover, fish that aren't stressed because they have places to hide will show better colors.

Reactions: calcal2
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store