Let's have another go at this fish ID!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

BigOh

African Rift Lake or bust
Aug 28, 2001
NY, USA
www.african.uklinux.net
Yeah ... definitely not a Red Zebra.

I'm checking w/ some cichlid buddies ... hopefully something comes to light.

The mouth is certainly interesting. I was thinking at first something from the Copadichromis genus mixed w/ Aulonocara. However, I'm not great at guessing so I passed the buck to some friends.

Definitely curious .....

Last edited:

tuthelimit

Renewed Member
May 19, 2002
Charleston, SC
Wow, weird looking.

My guess is a kind of Tilapia. You can't mistake those lips anywhere.

ttl

AikidoGuy

Cichlidiot
Jul 3, 2001
Sparta, New Jersey
it definatly has the body shape of a juvi Buttikoferi, even the fins are all the same. and the jaw structure is right on but the color .. nope?

Aquafreak

Aquarist
Dec 11, 2002
Sydney Australia
Visit site
I can assure you the fish ain't dyed, it was around 1.5-2 inches when I first bought it, and now it's around 5 inches, all colors are natural, well definately not dyed from food or anything like that since I got it. Unless it was "permanently" dyed before I bought it, I don't see any reason why those colors ain't natural for this "hybrid" or whatever species it is.

Marcus

AC Members
Oct 14, 1998
WVC, UT, USA
OK, let's see if we can get headed in the right direction. The mouth/head area and coloration are what prompted me to go with Tilapia. Check these out and see if we are headed in the right direction. Pay close attention to the patterning:

Ok, the mouth and head are not exact and the lips are more exaggerated but these could have been modified by the genes of the following. Check out the shape and patterning in Aquafreak's fish's dorsal:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store