i may have a pregnant cichlid not sure any ideas?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

nickolasb

AC Members
Nov 22, 2015
ware, massachusetts
Real Name
Nickolas
my cichlid is very small and young prolly only an inch and half but has a very fat belly but ive also heard that could just be a sick fish as well. i will post picks of the fish when my girl gets home cause my camera sucks but if anyone can help idenify that would be great thank you. i have 8 african cichlids

smitty

AC Members
Jul 8, 2004
Yeadon, Pennsylvania USA
Real Name
Jeffrey Smith
Camera Used
Olympus FE-370; Sony HDR-CX580
Is it swimming lathargic. Did it pair up with another fish. Do you see sign of stress, such as rapid breathing. clamped fins, or laying on the bottom.

nickolasb

AC Members
Nov 22, 2015
ware, massachusetts
Real Name
Nickolas
no nothing like that it seems to be doing just fine but i just bought it like 2 days ago from the lfs so it could have been paired with a fish thre but i havent noticed if its paired with any of the other cichlids in the tank

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
1) African cichlids do not get pregnant. Very difficult to tell if they have any eggs inside.
2) Fat African cichlids usually mean they are sick. If they have "Bloat" and is fat, it is too late.
3) What kind of cichlid and what are you feeding it?
4) There is the possibility that it is just fat, but I rarely ever see that.

nickolasb

AC Members
Nov 22, 2015
ware, massachusetts
Real Name
Nickolas
this is the cichlid i bought 4 of them yesterday at my lfs and the one picture in yellow white and black is the one i think might be carring and i have another white one where the belly looks a little bloated but they are swimming fine dont seem to be stressed and feed till the food is gone. i have 2 of each color but from the 4 i bought yesterday 2 have bloated bellies but the whites actually looks like its going away.good chichlid pic.jpg good chichlid pic.jpg good cichlid pic 4 (2).jpg good cichlid pic 6.jpg cichlid.jpg cichlid2.jpg

good cichlid pic 2.jpg

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
The fish that is fat is an Auratus, a very mean fish (when it grow a little more). It maybe just fat, but not 100% sure. Those fish do not get fat from eggs.

Check it's feces, if it is white or clear, it is sick. If it is "Bloat", it is too late.

nickolasb

AC Members
Nov 22, 2015
ware, massachusetts
Real Name
Nickolas
k. thanks for the info i will keep an eye on it for awhile. i was just watching earlier this morning and the fins are up but i havent notices any white feces but ill keep an eye out for it. thank you

nickolasb

AC Members
Nov 22, 2015
ware, massachusetts
Real Name
Nickolas
update:my cichlid is still going strong and it has been a couple days. but if it was sick from bloat how long would it be before i saw it show signs of it possibly dying?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store