I may be old but I am not yet foolish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Apr 2, 2002
New York
So I got a spam Email from LiveAquariia.com (used be drsforstersmith.com), I do not buy fish from them but will get some driftwood, frozen food or sale items now and then. So I clicked through to the aquarium supplies sales and most of it was for things I would never buy. However, Polyfilters were on the list and I use them when I ship. These come in two sizes and I normally get the 8x4 inch ($0.343/sq. in) as per sq. inch it is cheaper than the 12x12 size ($0.347/sq. in.). I never use larger pieces and they mostly go into bags of fish I am shipping.

So I am smart enough to buy just the 4x8. I am not too dumb to have figured out the per sq. inch pricing. But the thing that really gets me is this. The different packs of the 4x8 are one, three or nine pieces. Some are on sale.
One is not on sale and it costs $10.99.
Three on sale for $24.73 or $8.243 each. For three of these you would pay $74.19.
Nine on sale for $84.10 or $9.011 each.

Who is going to be foolish enough to buy the 9 pack instead of three of the 3 packs? DOH!

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
People who won't do math hahaha that's who they'd hope to get

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I can still do some math without a calculator, lol. But even I can see a $10 difference ;)...& then there are shipping costs. I always shop around for the best overall deal from reputable cos., especially for the amount you'll want TTA.

I suppose there are times when a larger sheet might be desirable, the price is very close...but I don't know I've ever used Polyfilter, I probably have at sometime...it always sounds like polyester fiberfil (floss) or the stiffer polyester fiber sheets to me. I know they're different, but, sheesh, couldn't they have used a less similar name? All have been around seemingly forever...Bad marketing...

jake72

AC Members
Jan 28, 2019
My understanding is youngsters have decided that math is not a necessary thing in modern world. Frequently when I watch the news i see that 1+1=3. I bet they sell a lot of those 9 packs; after all we all know bigger is better.

Apr 2, 2002
New York
I learned to do math at a time when there were no desktop or hand held calculators. If you lived then, you will remember this: "It's got big green numbers and little rubber feet."

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I'm sure they have reasons for their pricing, it may be in their best interests or something to sell out of the 3 pack and only stock 1 and 9.

?‍♂

Apr 2, 2002
New York
Rockwell calculators,
Gee, they're really neat...
They have big green numbers,
And little rubber feet.

That was an advert for one of the very first desktop calculators. The plot of the advert was a company was hiring a rock star to write a jingle. He comes up with that ditty in about 10 seconds. The end of the ad has the musician saying that will be $50,000, please. (or some similar number.)

• Haha
Reactions: dudley

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Cute ha ha! I honestly thought adding machine, we didn't have those either...& only 1 or 2 electric typewriters. You east coast boys were spoiled I think ;), rock star jingles indeed!

jake72

AC Members
Jan 28, 2019
Just an fyi: when i entered high-school calculators were just starting to come out. My Dad had a simple model from work. He forbade me from using it on homework; my mom suggested to him it was simply the 'modern' slide ruler. I wasn't allowed to use a slide ruler either (which i never learned to use). Sadly I now think 2+2=5; which is great since i get more than everyone else...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store