Hooray! I have a tank!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Finzzup

AC Members
Dec 1, 2002
NW Iowa
Visit site
Came into work early, and set up my tank and am going to do the "fishless cycling" before adding the fish.

The tank looks great just running with the light on! I am tempted to put in one of those glass fish that float by a glass bubble in just until it's ready. I can't turn the heater on until I buy a multiple plug adapter this afternoon.

Also talked to the owner at the LFS a few minutes ago and he said to just bring in a sample of the water and he'll do all the testing and tell me what I need to do to make any adjustments. I thought that was pretty nice of him considering he could've sold me a bunch of stuff instead.

He suggested putting in 3 Neon Tetras and 2 White Clouds with my Betta. I remember seeing another subject on here about this, so hopefully I can find it again. Does anybody think there would be trouble with this combo of fish? I wasn't going to put anything in there but the Betta originally...

THANKS again for everybody's help and patience with me! Once I get this really rolling, I'll take a picture to post.

Also -- I'm pretty impressed with this Eclipse tank. When it arrived, the plastic was VERY scratched in the back and enough in the front that I was going to send it back. But hubby had some 'plastic stuff' and he actually got the scratches out - looked like new again. It's also really quiet

GobyGuy5

AC Members
Nov 28, 2002
Visit site
Congrats on your new tank, Before we can answer your question about how many fish to put in it, we'll have to know what eclipse model it is.

Faramir

The twit from over the pond.
Nov 20, 1998
Chesterfield UK
Personally, I'd go with just neons, or just white clouds. The neons will swim near the bottom, balancing the top preferring Betta. OTOH, white clouds are a lot hardier.

Finzzup

AC Members
Dec 1, 2002
NW Iowa
Visit site
It is a 6 gallon eclipse and I am putting my Betta - Mr. Utley - in it.

My 11-year-old daughter was so impressed last night when we were looking at it, I might get her a 12 gallon and add Guppies to it. I had no idea they were so PRETTY until I saw some a little while ago!

Do Guppies and Bettas get along? :D

Cuddlebug910

Cuddlier than any other bug
Mar 2, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
Congrats on your tank! My first tank was the 12-gallon Eclipse system. And, like you, I was in awe of it after just filling it with water! It's good that you're taking the time to try and get things right. What size if your tank again? It's a smaller one, right? Maybe the 3 gallon? You said you were going to fishless cycle. That's good. Because if you're planning on adding neons... they're sensitive and probably wouldn't survive a fishy cycle. As it is, it may not be a good idea to add them to a tank with a betta. It really depends on the personality of your betta. I tried adding one to my 12 gal. and he grabbed an eye from one of my glowlight tetras. Now he's happily living in his own 3 gal eclipse! Not sure about the minnows. Maybe someone else will chime in on that. I'm pretty sure you'd be okay putting in a couple bottom-dwellers though. Mine got along with the cories just fine. Maybe 2 or 3 of the smaller cories. Keep us updated!

Faramir

The twit from over the pond.
Nov 20, 1998
Chesterfield UK
Guppies are not a good mix as their tails can be an irresistable temptation.

Pootspete

AC Members
Jul 26, 2001
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
members.tripod.com
CONGRATS! I know how anxious you were in starting your new tank. You will get so much pleasure out of it and to have it at work is even better. I believe I mentioned to you in another post that my Betta is doing fine with my neons. I also have white clouds in another tank and they are mild, and I am sure would work with the Betta, but I have never tried this. All the best and have fun with your new hobby!!!

O-man21

30 FW, 6 SW, 2.5 SW
Dec 3, 2002
Des Moines, IA
Neons and white clouds ARE NOT good with bettas. It will most likly eat them. Unless its a femal. They will be fine in that size tank but the betta will devour the neons. ( I have a bird named Mr. Utly)

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store