Help!!! Emergency Ammonia Problem!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Ok good. 0.50 is not unheard of in tap water.

I know the bacteria should convert the ammonia in the 24 hours Prime detoxifies it, but for some reason it's not doing that.
What's not doing that? The bacteria is not converting it? How long have you been cycling these filters/pond?

SimoneJ

AC Members
Apr 12, 2017
California
Ok good. 0.50 is not unheard of in tap water.

What's not doing that? The bacteria is not converting it? How long have you been cycling these filters/pond?
Do you think that amount of ammonia will have a bad impact on the lives of my fish? I have no idea when I'm getting that RO DI unit. And yes, it looks like my bacteria is not doing a good job of converting anything. I've had the pond out there for about 3 or so weeks, but the filters have been cycling for more than a month at least.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
A complete cycle usually takes 6-8 weeks so it's probably not cycled yet. 0.50ppm is about the highest I would say is acceptable when coupled with a mature bacteria colony and proper dosing of Prime. If you add the water directly to the pond then you need to dose for the total pond volume, if you fill a bucket or something with your new water you can then dose for only the added amount of water. Like you said the Prime will detoxify the ammonia until the bacteria have converted it, once the bacteria colony has grown large enough of course. In the long run a RO unit would be the best way to go IMO

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I am really surprised there is ammonia in your source water, I have not heard of it not being converted to nitrate by the time it leaves your tap

Again, get your water tested elsewhere as a second opinion.

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
If the API test kit tests for total ammonia, which it does, won't it read chloramine as ammonia? I've had this discussion a lot lately, and I believe that was the conclusion we came to. Have you tried letting a sample sit out over night and then testing it?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store