hazy water in new tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

amuro129

AC Members
Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
Hello,

I got a 60 gallon acrilyc tank about 4 days ago along with a Fluval 404. The water has been crystal clear for the past 3 days but when I saw it this morning the water was rather hazy. There are no fish inside the tank yet. Does anyone know why? Thanks for any input.

rob

AikidoGuy

Cichlidiot
Jul 3, 2001
Sparta, New Jersey
thats normal, the tank is cycling, give it a few days and it will clear up. in the mean time dont put anyfish in it yet.

AikidoGuy

Cichlidiot
Jul 3, 2001
Sparta, New Jersey
hmm.. um.. oh yeah.. dont change the water or it will just start over and prolong the process, if its getting cloundy now that most likely because your bacteria colony (this is good) is starting to bloom. i would just leave it alone for a few days and forget it there so your not tempted to change the water. get back to us when it clears up and well tell ya what to do from that point ok ! and in the mean time get your self a test kit if you dont already have one.

T

TnCgal

Wait a second... did I miss something ? :confused:

I don't think Amuro said anything about adding any ammonia and he did state there are no fish in the tank yet so for it to be cycling without ammonia would not be possible.

I also disagree with the statement that water changes delay a cycle to the point of having to start over. Water changes with a fishless cycle are not necessary until the end of the cycling period to reduce nitrAtes but with a fishless cycle, water changes are "so" important that they can literally mean the difference between life and death for the fish. There has never been any evidence to support the theory that the water changes will decrease nitrifying bacteria. Think about it... they don't decrease nitrifying bacteria "after" the cycle, so it would be safe to assume that they wouldn't decrease nitrifying bacteria "during" the cycle ! :)

Amuro, there is much information available for beginners on the cycle ... or to be more exact, the "nitrogen cycle" and to be successful in this hobby it is essential that you read and learn as much as you possibly can about it. It's "Basic fish-keeping 101", haha . :)

IMO, here are the 2 best websites for the explanation of the nitrogen cycle, and specifically you might want to read about the "fishless cycle". This is a much safer way to cycle your new tank without exposing any of your fish to harmful and toxic chemicals thus decreasing fish suffering and loss.

www.thekrib.com
www.skepticalaquarist.com

BTW, the haziness of your water is normal for new aquariums and is likely either dust or particulates suspended in the water that are related to new gravel in your tank (sometimes this can happen if the gravel wasn't rinsed thorough enough) or a bacterial bloom that is unrelated to the nitrogen cycle, yet is a usual occurence to new aquarium setups. In all likelihood it will go away on its own.

Good luck and let us know if you have any other questions we can answer for you. :)

JSchmidt

Cowbell! I need more cowbell!
Jun 27, 1999
IL, USA
www.wiu.edu
Amuro, if you plan to cycle without fish, here's a great article on it. Many of us routinely cycle new tanks without exposing fish to toxic ammonia and nitrite, and we'd be happy to hold your hand if you decide to go that route.

http://www.aaquaria.com/aquasource/cycle2.shtml

As long as I'm at it, I'll share my thoughts on cloudiness. First of all, the color can give you a clue as to what the problem is. If it's a green-tinted cloudiness, the problem is most likely a bloom of unicellular algae.

If the cloudiness is white, it could be either particulates (like dust from your gravel) or microorganisms. Usually, if particulates are going to cloud your water, it will happen immediately and slowly disappear (over a week or so). If the cloudiness develops over the course of some time, it generally means there is an abundance of some of the normal microorganisms that inhabit our tank. There are lots of these critters, and they feed on each other, so if one populations grows quicker than another, you get a bloom that makes the water look cloudy.

Please note that these microbes are NOT the same ones that we refer to as the beneficial bacteria that oxidize ammonia and nitrite. Therefore, you can have a white-water outbreak that has no bearing on the tank's cycle. Often, the cloudiness occurs early in a tank's life, so it's easy to think that it's related to the cycle, but it's independent. I've had fully cycled tanks that, for some reason, developed cloudiness but suffered no loss of the biofilter.

If you have white water that seems to fit the description of a microorganism bloom, the best treatment is to do nothing. It will go away. You can change the water, but you'll just reduce the number of organisms in the water column, and they'll quickly reproduce and the cloudiness will return. You really just need to wait for the populations of organisms to come into balance and all will clear up.

Hope this is helpful... don't be afraid to come back and let us know if you need assistance with cycling questions.

Jim

amuro129

AC Members
Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
Originally posted by JSchmidt
Amuro, if you plan to cycle without fish, here's a great article on it. Many of us routinely cycle new tanks without exposing fish to toxic ammonia and nitrite, and we'd be happy to hold your hand if you decide to go that route.

http://www.aaquaria.com/aquasource/cycle2.shtml

As long as I'm at it, I'll share my thoughts on cloudiness. First of all, the color can give you a clue as to what the problem is. If it's a green-tinted cloudiness, the problem is most likely a bloom of unicellular algae.

If the cloudiness is white, it could be either particulates (like dust from your gravel) or microorganisms. Usually, if particulates are going to cloud your water, it will happen immediately and slowly disappear (over a week or so). If the cloudiness develops over the course of some time, it generally means there is an abundance of some of the normal microorganisms that inhabit our tank. There are lots of these critters, and they feed on each other, so if one populations grows quicker than another, you get a bloom that makes the water look cloudy.

Please note that these microbes are NOT the same ones that we refer to as the beneficial bacteria that oxidize ammonia and nitrite. Therefore, you can have a white-water outbreak that has no bearing on the tank's cycle. Often, the cloudiness occurs early in a tank's life, so it's easy to think that it's related to the cycle, but it's independent. I've had fully cycled tanks that, for some reason, developed cloudiness but suffered no loss of the biofilter.

If you have white water that seems to fit the description of a microorganism bloom, the best treatment is to do nothing. It will go away. You can change the water, but you'll just reduce the number of organisms in the water column, and they'll quickly reproduce and the cloudiness will return. You really just need to wait for the populations of organisms to come into balance and all will clear up.

Hope this is helpful... don't be afraid to come back and let us know if you need assistance with cycling questions.

Jim

First all I'd like to thank all guys for the helpful advice. The white cloudlyness happened immediately and is now going away slowly. At least I think it's going away slowly. It's been about 3 days now that it has been cloudy. It seems as though it's slowly going away though. I will just wait until things clear up before I take further action. I plan on getting 1 australian gold arowana for the tank. Is there anything else I should know before I add the guy in there?

rjl420

AC Members
May 13, 2002
Temecula, CA
photos.yahoo.com
well, first off I don't think a 60 gallon tank is anywhere near big enough for an arrowana. they can get upwards of 2 feet long, half the size of your tank lengthwise! anything smaller than a 125 is too small for them IMO.

second, I haven't seen any response to the cycling questions. have you chosen how you want to cycle your tank? I'm a strong advocate of fishless cycling because:

1) it's MUCH faster than traditionally cycling with fish

2) you can stock the tank to its full bio-load RIGHT AWAY instead of adding fish slowly

3) there is NO RISK to any fish

4) no water changes til its finished.

of course you have to stare at an empty tank for a week (maybe a little more) but pateince is a BIG part of fishkeeping.

see the link that Jim posted for more info on fishless cycling

amuro129

AC Members
Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
well i did state that i'm not going to do anything until my tank clears up so that means it's a fishless cycle for me. I'm studying the fishless cycling site now to see exactly what I need to do. as for the arowana, when it gets too big for the tank i'll donate it. I just need some good luck for the time being.

amuro129

AC Members
Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
Okay i've read a few of the fishless cycling sites. I can't say I'm sure on exactly what I need to do. Can someone walk me through it a bit?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store