Having a very odd Purigen problem with Algae

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

apastuszak

AC Members
Jun 2, 2015
Bensalem, PA
www.stamphacks.com
Real Name
Andy
Camera Used
iPhone XR
Ok, 55 gallon freshwater tank with a Fluval 305 Canister Filter on it. In the filter I only use ceramic noodles for bioloigical filtration and purigen. I have 4 bags of Purigen. I have 2 in the filter and 2 on standby. The Purigen has been regenerated 3 times.

So, here's the odd issue...

I run the filter with Purigren in it and all is fine. I then do my monthly Canister cleaning and toss the waiting Purigen in, and regenerate the old Purigen. During that month, I get hair algae all over the tank. I then clean the filtrer and use the other Purigen and all the hair algae dies. When I switch back to the other 2 bags of Purigen, the algae growns again.

Since you have to regenrate the stuff in bleach, I don't see how any algae spores could possibly survive the regeneration process.

I'm stumped.

discuspaul

AC Members
Jun 22, 2010
Surrey, B.C. Canada (Vancouver)
Real Name
Paul
You're right, there's no way algae spores could survive a bleaching of the Purigen.
Conclusion: There's no way the Purigen has anything to do with the hair algae taking over with one set of Purigen, then dieing when the next batch of Purigen is introduced.
Purely co-incidental - something else is at play here.

apastuszak

AC Members
Jun 2, 2015
Bensalem, PA
www.stamphacks.com
Real Name
Andy
Camera Used
iPhone XR
I would agree. But it does happen like clockwork with every filter cleaning. I cleaned the filter last week. If I clean it tonight and change the Purigen, the hair algae will be dead in 24-48 hours. If I clean it again in 2 days and change the Purigen, the algae will start to grow. The ONLY thing I change in the canister is the Purigen. Everything else is just rinsed and reused.

Very strange...

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I too think it can't be related to the purigen, but did you ever try stopping the usage of the two bags that seem to make the algae re-appear?

Duckie

AC Members
Mar 14, 2015
You can also try to leave the purigen out. If you get algae without purigen, then the 2 defective bags may simply be wore out and not working any more.

DavidZ

AC Members
Sep 20, 2007
NY
I use Purigen and many other has nothing to do with Purigen.
I think the key is you cleaned the filter.
try to pick up your water quality and see if it affects the algae issue.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store