Has API Proper PH 7.0 ruined my Tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

MP27

Registered Member
Mar 26, 2022
Hi,

I'm fairly new to the aquarium hobby. I've had my 130L (34 gallon) tank set up to around 10 weeks now and everything seemed to be going very well. Water parameters were good and the fish seemed happy. A couple of days ago I woke up and 1 of my Cherry Barbs had died suddenly, I tested the water and found that I had an ammonia spike despite doing a water change only 2 days prior. I did an emergency water change and added some Ammo-Lock and thankfully haven't lost any fish since. In my panic I also noticed my PH had dropped to 6.2 where it had normally been sitting around 7 up until this point. I saw some API proper PH 7.0 at the shop and decided to give it go I realise now, I made a BIG mistake. Turns out this shouldn't be used with live plants which I have plenty of, further more it has made my water very cloudy (which I expected).

It's been about 4 days since I used it, all my fish and plants are still alive thankfully, though they don't look all that happy. I've completed 2 x 50% water changes since and have tried some Accu-clear aswell. I have also done some maintenance on my HOB filter as it seemed a bit blocked. The cloudiness in the tank doesn't seem to be improving. I have since read up more about this product and the experiences people have had aren't good.

Is my aquarium ruined or can I save it? I'm really upset because it was going so well and I really don't want to lose any more fish or any of my plants. What should I do?

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Are you using a good liquid test kit? Current detailed readings on the tank? Also, on a tap water sample that has set out overnight to gas off.

How did you cycle the tank initially?

What is the detailed stocking of the tank? What plants do you have? Full tank pic, please.

I'd stop adding all that stuff and do consistent water changes of 50% every other day.

Reactions: dudley

MP27

Registered Member
Mar 26, 2022
Hi,

Thanks so much for your response

I'm Using an API freshwater test kit. I did a water test today, about 24hours after a 50% water change. My PH was bottom of the scale which reads 6.0 (could potentially be lower as the kit won't go lower than that) Ammonia: 0ppm, Nitrite: 0ppm, Nitrate 5.0ppm.

This means the Proper PH didn't raise it to 7.0 like it should have and potentially even lowered it?

The test I did before messing with it around 5 days ago was PH:6.1, Ammonia: 0.6ppm, nitrite: 0ppm, Nitrate 0pmm (this was with a more accurate spin test)

My tap water has a PH of 7.6

Currently I have the following fish
7 Cherry Barbs
7 Lemon Tetra
2 German Blue Rams
4 Pearl Gourami
1 Super-red Bristle nose pleco

I cycled the tank for around 2 weeks with ghost feeding before adding the Tetra's and then the Barbs a week after that. I added fish every 2 weeks from then with the most recent addition being the Pearl Gourami which I believe is what caused my ammonia spike.
The Blue Rams appear to be the most affected right now, they have lost a lot of the bright colour they were showing about a week ago.

As for the plants I have the following:

Ambulia
Cryptocoryne
Vallisneria
I have some others but I'm not exactly sure what they are.

I have attached a photo of the tank from about 2 weeks ago, and then an after photo from today. I haven't added anything to the tank today, did a 50% water change yesterday where I added some API Accu-Clear, API Stress Coast conditioner and API Stress Zyme

Tank after.jpg

Tank before.jpg

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
What kind of substrate?
What kind of wood?

The tap pH sample, did it gas off over night and then you read/tested it?

What is a "spin" test?

Testing 5 days ago, (before messing with it): Ammonia .6 ppm, Nitrite 0 ppm, Nitrate 0 ppm

Testing today, (24 hrs after 50% WC): Ammonia 0 ppm, Nitrite 0 ppm, Nitrate 5 ppm

I'd just be using a good conditioner that removes chlorine and chloramine, stopping all those other additives.

Despite your issues, it's looking pretty good scape wise.

How big was the "spike" you mention in the initial post?

Reactions: dudley

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I agree with Bob. Water changes & skip the extra additives. I use Prime dechlor. I don't know what a spin test is either.

Nice tank! Are you using fertilizers? What kind & how often? Your plants should help with ammonia etc.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
To add to the above, have you tested hardness?

I assume the spin test covers it, at least the API one does, I assume the Hanna one does too.. but if they bottom out you will have pH issues also.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
OK, dougall, what the heck is a spin test, API or Hanna? Bob & I want to know...& probably others too. Do tell please, I feel quite left out

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
https://apifishcare.com/about-aquaspin is the quickest example I could find

Often available for testing in aquarium stores, don't think it's easily available to hobbyists though.

hope that helps.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
It's likely been longer since I tested water ?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store