Has anyone kept Tiger Barbs with Cardinal Tetras?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lostchemist

...Lost its just the way I am...
Aug 29, 2003
Pittsburgh, PA
Visit site
I was wondering if anyone has kept Cardinal Tetras with tiger barbs and had sucess?
If i keep them in groups should i be fine?
If bought they would be in a 30 gal tank that is planted.

Haven't bought yet wanted to see you opinions and suggestions.

PumaWard

In loving memory of Meeko
Jul 23, 2003
Vermont
I wouldn't try it. I mean, you could probably save a penny or two and try it with neons first... but then if the barbs are aggressive with them... the fish will still be picked on and then probably get sick.

Captain Hook

Looking for ideas
Aug 21, 2003
Toronto, ON
Visit site
I've read that it also helps to add the tiger barbs after the other fish so they do not feel like it is their territory as much. Makes sense to me that they are less likely to feel like they own the place.

Lostchemist

Aug 29, 2003
Pittsburgh, PA
Visit site
I def will put in the tetras first, prob to cycle the tank. Thanks guys. Will update when tank is set up! I will prob watch the tank like a hawk when adding the tiger barbs.

F.sparverius

AC Members
Oct 3, 2003
Visit site
We had 3 Tiger Barbs with Red and Black tetras, Rosy Barbs and Zebra Danios with no problem. However it was in a 55 gallon tank.

When we added neons a few months later and the black tetras and tiger barbs ate them all.

• Wow
Reactions: Adler

yhbae

AC Members
Aug 5, 2003
Canada
www.aqadvisor.com
Cardinal/Neon Tetras are not hardy! You shouldn't use them during cycling. Tiger Barbs are much hardier, but do you have any other fish you plan to add eventually?

Lostchemist

Aug 29, 2003
Pittsburgh, PA
Visit site
Well beside tiger barbs i was thinking dwarf gourimis, oto's, pleco's.
What else do you think would be good. Something semi-aggressive would prob be best.

Platinum

AC Members
Oct 25, 2003
Singapore
Visit site
I reckon regardless of their schooling behaviour, still the tiger barbs will find it all too tempting to nip the tetras.....keke. :D

Have tried it once 2 years ago, eventually i had lotsa tattered fin neon tetras so much so that we had to transfer the tiger barbs out to the artificial pond to thrive with the "lobster"... :)

It's a No No. :)

yhbae

AC Members
Aug 5, 2003
Canada
www.aqadvisor.com
I struggled with the same topic as well when I was about to setup my first community tank and found out very quickly that not many species are compatible with Tiger Barbs. The safe choices are larger Gouramies (Pearl Gourami might work), red-tail shark (again requires a large tank, probably 55g+), smaller loaches (Clown Loach, still grows quite large at 4 inches), larger cories (the ones which reach about 2.5 inches or larger) and plecos (Bristlenose is nice, but still grows to 4-5 inches). Kribs can handle them too...

My conclusion? I've decided not to consider the Tiger Barb for my 1st tank which was a 25g (30x12x16). The size crossed out just about every species that are compatible with Tiger Barb... :D

What dimension is your 30g? Is it 30 inches long or 3 feet long?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store