Getting nervous now!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Finzzup

AC Members
Dec 1, 2002
NW Iowa
Visit site
Well, my 6G Eclipse should be here tomorrow via UPS and then I'm taking it to work with me on Tuesday! I think I've been reading too much because suddenly, I'm nervous about starting it up and sure don't want to kill Mr. Utley, my Betta, when I put him into his new home!

This is my plan -- someone please tell me if I'm missing something here:

I have bought dark blue gravel, a "Whisper" 50 watt heater (for use in 5-15 G aquariums) and I'm taking 10G (in 1G bottles) of well water from my home.

All I need to do is put the aquarium where I want it, add the gravel (already rinsed very well) and the water, heater and follow the rest of the directions that come with the Eclipse - right??

How long until I can add my Betta to the tank? And what do I set the heater at? The box says it's "adjustable" so hope that is the right one.

Do I need one of those stones that makes all the air bubbles? Should I add those plastic plants like they have at Walmart? Or is there something better to ad? I don't want too much in there, yet I don't want too little either!

I am soooo excited over this! I work at my computer all day long and have a pretty dark office with little lighting (my preference) and am looking forward to being able to see my Betta! :)

Oh -- and while at Walmart, I saw they also had a Bio-Wheel aquarium for a LOT less than what I paid for the Eclipse system -- and I got it at 20% off plus shipping! But, the one at Walmart (can't remember the name now) was 5G and mine is 6G. Anybody know if there IS a difference in these besides the size -- and the price?

Thanks again for the help!!!

ArkyLady

Addict In Training
Nov 27, 2002
Arkansas
I would recommend doing a "fishless cycle" to prepare the tank for Mr. Utley. This website has info on how to do this:

http://www.tomgriffin.com/aquamag/cycle2.html

All of the heaters I've seen at Wal-Mart don't have a dial that you can just set to a specific temp. Mine just had a "starting" point and you let it run for 24 hours at that point then adjust it up or down a notch or two as needed over a few days until it stays at whatever temp you want. You can get that all leveled out during the fishless cycle process. I kept my betta at 78 degrees, I don't think bettas are very particular about their water temps. Most people keep them in those glass jars with a plant on top. However, they don't seem to ever live very long. I got mine a real aquarium and he lived nearly 3 years.

You'll need a thermometer, but I'd recommend getting the kind that's a glass tube that has a suction cup and you stick it inside the tank. I had one of the flat ones that you stick to the outside, but over time I noticed that it was coming loose a bit and wasn't as accurate as it used to be. Also, the glass tube ones are removeable so you can test the temp of your water during water changes.

Mr. Utley will get his air from the surface, so he doesn't need an airstone, but if you wanted to add one you might both enjoy watching the bubbles :)

I'd add a plant or two if nothing else just for looks. When I had my betta I got one of those fake plastic logs with some plants on it from Wal-Mart as well. It was hollowed out in the back and my betta liked to go in there sometimes to nap.

You'll probably want to get a test kit or strips to test your water before you add him to make sure the tank is finished cycling. You can get test kits at Wal-Mart, but mine didn't have any strips so I ordered those from www.drsfostersmith.com

Good luck! I'm sure Mr. Utley will love his new home. I always feel so sorry for all those bettas sitting in jars of water at Wal-Mart for days on end. If they wouldn't all kill each other I'd dump them all into my 55gal tank :)

Finzzup

AC Members
Dec 1, 2002
NW Iowa
Visit site
Thanks, ArkyLady! Never occured to me to get a thermometer! I will pick that up today along with one of those logs/rocks they had -- they were pretty.

My Betta is living in a huge 2G glass jar right now with no plant (I tried - it died) and I've had him almost 18 months now, so hope the aquarium will be better and work out for him. He should be a happy camper! :)

kveeti

Easily amused
Jun 12, 2002
Winnipeg, MB
It's usually better to buy silk plants, not plastic for a betta. If a plant or decorations will snag on pantyhose, they will damage your betta's fins.

ArkLady had a good idea about the plastic logs, bettas like a hidey place. Mine likes resting in those 'clay' pots (make sure it is new).

Last edited:

TheMightyQueenPixie

Best Invention EVER!
Apr 16, 2002
Barrie, ON. Canada
www.baycitybettas.com
Kveeti just took the words out of my mouth. Plastic plants will shred your Betta in a matter of moments...Also, if you notice your Betta hanging around a certain area away fro the filter output take him out. Bettas are not strong swimmers and an excessive current from a filter can exhaust them, eventually killing them. He should be fine in a 6 gal, as most of the people that have this problem have the tiny 2 gal.

Finzzup

AC Members
Dec 1, 2002
NW Iowa
Visit site
Thanks for the responses everybody! I REALLY appreciate it!

Are silk plants easy to find? I can't remember seeing anything other than plastic ones at Walmart... and I didn't buy them just because they always look so fake. Do silk ones look more realisitic?

Faramir

The twit from over the pond.
Nov 20, 1998
Chesterfield UK
There's absolutely no need for an air stone - these fish are air breathers. Filtration is far more important.

Finzzup

AC Members
Dec 1, 2002
NW Iowa
Visit site
Originally posted by TheMightyQueenPixie
Silk ones do look more realistic, however they are more expensive also
Aw, heck, it's just money! :)

I'm already waaaaaay over $100 invested for the little aquarium, shipping, heater, etc. for my sweet $3 fish! :D

ArkyLady

Addict In Training
Nov 27, 2002
Arkansas
When I first put my betta into his 10gal aquarium, he was somewhat stressed for about 2 weeks. He'd fight almost constantly with the stream of water coming from the filter. It worried me that he would kill himself, but after the first few days he calmed down quite a bit and within two weeks he was fine. I would turn the filter off at night so he could rest and only keep it on when I was around until he got used to it.

I had plastic plants with no problems and I didn't notice any damage to his fins, but I can sure see them being a problem. I never thought about it and I guess I got lucky that they didn't damage him. You can get silk plants online if you can't find any locally. Try www.petco.com or www.petsmart.com

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store