Fish V

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

platytetrafan

AC Members
Jan 20, 2007
NY
Hi I was recommended to use a product called Fish V for my discus glo tetras & schwartzi corys. Has anyone used this product? Reviews please

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
I've never heard of Fish V before but a quick search shows it is usually recommended IF you are feeding frozen food that doesn't have the vitamins that regular flake or pellet food contains.

What brand and type food are you currently feeding your fish?

platytetrafan

AC Members
Jan 20, 2007
NY
I alternate foods I feed frozen (thawed) brine shrimp hikari, tetramin tropical flakes, Hikari vibra bites and hikari biogold for discus

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Back when I made fish food for my discus fry I added some kind of vitamins. I have no idea what it was or if it's still sold. That name doesn't ring any memory bells.

I would suggest mixing up the brands of foods. Nothing against Hikari but they are all pretty similar. except for frozen. Just to guilt you a tiny bit (lol) I fed 6 different foods when my discus were small. I also grew white worms & red wigglers & made 2 kinds of homemade (seafood mix & beefheart mix). After they got bigger I fed 4x/day, no repeats. I had taught them to hand feed when small. They'd try anything I held for them including pea "guts", cooked spinach, freeze dried blackworms, whole thawed shrimp...

I also tried a frozen seafood mix post-discus. I don't remember the brand but none of my fish liked it...

Reactions: platytetrafan
Apr 2, 2002
New York
Or one can read the ingredient list of foods before buying. The best foods contain a lot of good stuff. Here is the ingredient list for the Repashy Community Plus which is " Our Meal Replacement Gel for Omnivorous Species of Freshwater Fish and Aquatic Invertebrates."

INGREDIENTS: Krill Meal, Alfalfa Leaf Meal, Squid Meal, Pea Protein Isolate, Fish Meal, Stabilized Rice Bran, Dried Seaweed Meal, Dried Brewer’s Yeast, Coconut Meal, Algae Meal, Lecithin, Locust Bean Gum, Citric Acid, Taurine, Stinging Nettle, Garlic, Dried Kelp, Dried Watermelon, RoseHips, Hibiscus Flower, Marigold Flower, Paprika, Turmeric, Salt, Calcium Propionate and Potassium Sorbate (as preservatives), Magnesium Amino Acid Chelate, Zinc Methionine Hydroxy Analogue Chelate, Manganese Methionine Hydroxy Analogue Chelate, Copper Methionine Hydroxy Analogue Chelate. Vitamins: (Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D Supplement, Calcium L-Ascorbyl-2-Monophosphate, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Beta Carotene, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex).

And here is the nutrion information for Kikari Frozen Brine:

Brine shrimp, water, vitamin B12 supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (stabilized vitamin C), carotene, riboflavin, thiamine mononitrate, biotin, choline chloride, folic acid, calcium pantothenate, inositol, niacin.*

So my first question about Fis V is why would one choose to feed foods which did not already contain what the V is supposed to supply? Moreover, if one has multiple tanks and a variety of fish, we mostly buy our frozen in anything from 1 pound to 1 kilo slabs. These are way more economical. I do have to use Blood worms in cubes is I am one of the folks very allergic to them. Between wearing latex gloves and minimizing any contact with the food as I dispense it, I am able to use it. But I have to be careful. If a food is available in slabs, that is how I get it, The exceptions are the bloods but frozen daphnia and BBS. I only use a small amount of the latter two foods though. My fry and small fish mix is normally frozen cyclops and rotifers.

Next, if you have ever had to make medicated food you learn that once that food hits the water the fish must eat if soon after or else the medication simple goes into the water as it doesn't remain in the food all that well. For that reason it is often suggested that one keep fish hungry and only feed the medicated food during the treatment period. So I wonder if one does use the Fish X, how much of it actually ends up inside a fish.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
If you are making your own foods or offering live, frozen or freeze dried foods without additives, I would add some kind of vitamins just to be sure they get enough of everything. Excess in the water or food (or poo) & you'll remove it during your very frequent water changes & vacuuming! & of course you know you have to do that. Poor food & few water changes will stunt your discus. I think you know that, you've been here a long time now. Discus need extra care in some ways. It's not too hard to do but they need more frequent care than most other fish. After a couple years of optimal care you can slack off a bit...but they'll always need more help than most of our fish...but the results can be spectacular. When in doubt, change water, lots of water...& feed quality food several times/day.

Reactions: dudley

platytetrafan

AC Members
Jan 20, 2007
NY
If you are making your own foods or offering live, frozen or freeze dried foods without additives, I would add some kind of vitamins just to be sure they get enough of everything. Excess in the water or food (or poo) & you'll remove it during your very frequent water changes & vacuuming! & of course you know you have to do that. Poor food & few water changes will stunt your discus. I think you know that, you've been here a long time now. Discus need extra care in some ways. It's not too hard to do but they need more frequent care than most other fish. After a couple years of optimal care you can slack off a bit...but they'll always need more help than most of our fish...but the results can be spectacular. When in doubt, change water, lots of water...& feed quality food several times/day.
Yes I agree alot of work but worth it they’re great fish

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store