Feeding every other day

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Nereus7

AC Members
Jul 30, 2012
Ok, so since I havn't been able to upgrade to a larger tank, I'm thinking of cutting back feeding to every other day. I figure this will slow growth a little, and cut back on the nitrate production a little. My dudes are fat so I figure I'll keep an eye on them and if I see some of the weight dropping off, I'll up it to 2 days on, skip a day, 2 days on etc. Think they'll be fine with every other day? - N

Manafel

AC Members
Oct 10, 2011
Tulsa, OK
Real Name
Kayla
I feed the fish in my 75gal every other day to keep the nitrates down. For 2 of the feeding I just feed some fresh zucchini and NLS pellets, then once ill feed some frozen bloodworms/kudos shrimp mixed together. Your fish should do just fine, and its probably healthier for them anyway.

Sent from my PC36100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

vanillarum

AC Members
Jan 4, 2008
Mass.
I have been feeding all my fish every other day for 2 or 3 years with no adverse effects. The only exceptions are to the fry grow out tank and they get fed every day. In the wild, fish do not eat every day. Yours will be fine. Good luck.

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
i personally would not limit food just to keep the fish in a too small tank for a longer period of time.

feeding every second day is fine for fish though, if they are already housed appropriately with a large enough tank, appropriately stocked, with ample filtration.

vanillarum

AC Members
Jan 4, 2008
Mass.
I don't recall anything being said about a "too small tank for a longer period of time". Based on what the OP said, the fish being fed every other day will be fine.

Fish-Addict

AC Members
Dec 7, 2008
Buckinghamshire, England
Real Name
Sam
I don't recall anything being said about a "too small tank for a longer period of time". Based on what the OP said, the fish being fed every other day will be fine.
"...I haven't been able to upgrade to a larger tank..."
"...I figure this will slow growth a little..."

Nevertheless, I have been feeding my fish and inverts every other day for a long time - your fish will be fine.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

vanillarum

AC Members
Jan 4, 2008
Mass.
You're still assuming. Stick to the facts.

BettaFishMommy

Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
how is Fish-Addict assuming when they are directly quoting portions of the OP's post??

vanillarum

AC Members
Jan 4, 2008
Mass.
OK, I will spell it out. fish addict is assuming that because the Op said that they were upgrading to a larger tank, that the current tank is overstocked. We do not know if this is true, do we ? I am currently upgrading one of my 40 breeders to a larger tank - does this mean that my 40 breeder is over stocked ? Not necessarily. It could well be, but without the OP or myself expressly stating this, it is an assumption. The OP asked about feeding every other day. Stick to the question, do not assume that the tank is over stocked. STICK TO THE QUESTION. Maybe the OP just wants a larger tank. There was NEVER anything mentioned about being over stocked until bfm brought it up. Stick to the question and leave out the insinuations. That's it for me on the subject, I am done. Have a nice day.

BettaFishMommy

Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
if somebody is posting about feeding less to limit fish growth, i think that we are going to take that as the fish are starting to get too big for the tank.

that's my take on it, at least.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store